What's new

Help me pick the best receiver (1 Viewer)

WesleyA

Auditioning
I am building a surround sound system, for speakers I decided to go with Polk audio Lsi7 for the front and surround and the LsiC for the center channel. I am strongly considering getting an outlaw 1050 but its lack of component connections is, as I see it, its only downfall. I am also eyeing the harman kardon 525, which I can get for about the same price. What do you guys think?

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
dont know how important to you, the 1050 is also missing dpl2 and neo6, dont know how important they are to you...

im thinking your price range is around $500, give or take...

of your options, an H&K520 or 525 are both appealing...

you could probably find the nad t761 in that range, you would have similar problems with it as the 1050 though...

nice side benefit of the H&K is that they have hdcd decoding, not many receivers in this price range do.

Rich

RobWil

Supporting Actor
The 1050 sells for around $500 and the HK 525 sells for around $1000. You can get the 525 for around $500? That's quite a deal! I am not familiar with Outlaw but I have owned several HK's and auditioned a couple more. The 525 is a nice receiver but really doesn't have much more to offer than the 325 (20wpc and HDCD decoding) but if you can get the 525 for around $500 I'd grab it.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
If I were you I'd back away from the Outlaw.

It was great for it's time, but has become quite dated and lacking considering todays receiver options. Especially at the price range.

I won a 1050 a few years back and loved it ..hooked up my rear center speaker and thought I was in heaven. However, it got to the point where I missed having more inputs (digital/ video etc) and worst of all, the 1050 introduced an annoying subwoofer hum when I used the 1050 as a s-video switcher, and the DSP's were buggy.

I finally sold it and got myself the Pioneer 811 6.1 receiver and to this day I haven't regretted it. It's sounds great in both DVD and music modes and I have no complaints...Plenty of inputs and other nice features for MY needs.

I think Pioneer is about to release a newer version of the 811 but it seems to be almost identical to the 811, so you can probably get a real bargain on the 811 if you search online.

Good luck in your search!

Alfer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks