What's new

Help me pick between these receivers... (warning, noobie) (1 Viewer)

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

To be fair CurtisC, the Rotel vs Pioneer on the Kenwood's or Kef speakers is a useless arguement. Unless the OP has money to spend on speakers, sound quality is probably not his main concern, $ and specs are.

I still believe the Rotel would be a better buy over the 1016 in the long run but $300 isn't that big of deal to me. I find it odd that having probably spent $3k on the display and video source that it's a big deal to the OP. Obviously the the purchase was an impulse buy without full consideration to the entire audio/video package. In my case, the audio to video $' spent is almost 10:1 :)

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

What makes a base BMW 3-series that much better than a much cheaper but more feature loaded Honda Civic? Mostly build quailty and ride experience. Both will get you from point A to point B but only a ride in both will let you appreciate one over the other.

The Rotel has a better, more powerful, and cleaner power supply, and IMHO, a richer, warmer, fuller, sound. You have to listen to it to hear if the difference matters to you.

Bullet Head

Agent
Real Name
Amir
I was not planning on purchasing a SXRD, but found a good deal on it and that took away what I had allocated for the audio and it leaves me with less funds. I understand the Rotel is a good buy and beats the 1016 quality wise but with my limited budget of $500 for the receiver, I may have to go with the 1016. I still have to purchase the connections and power conditioning equipment and I really dont want to skimp on what I already have set aside for it.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
JB

As you are well aware, speakers make 1000X difference than electronics. If someone wants "rich, full" sound, speaker choice is clearly where you start, not with electronics. All IMHO, of course.

And yes, when cost is not a concern, I'll take the BMW. However, by carefully reading independant reviews, one can find a car that gives 85% of the BMW 3 for 50% of the price.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

Yes, but lets make sure that the 15% you are doing without isn't the part that's going to prevent you from having a permanent smile on your face!

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

Funny you would say that... I used the BMW vs Honda analogy as I happen to have one of each (1999 vs 2000) (married someone with the Honda). I can tell you, hands down, the BMW has been by far the more reliable vehicle and the one I much prefer driving (more comfortable, better handling, better acceleration, etc).

I also happen to own both a Yamaha RX-V540 (2003) and a Rotel RSX-1067 (2006). Do I regret getting the Yamaha in '03? Nope, I couldn't afford the Rotel and speakers to go with it then ($3-4k difference) but I'm sure glad I can now and wish I could have in 2003 :)

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

I disagree with this, electronics and speakers when combined correctly will yield the best results.

To use the BMW vs Honda metaphor, if Mario Andretti is racing the Honda and I'm racing against him in the BMW, who wins? Whats driving the speakers makes all the difference, IMVHO.

Having owned Rotel, Denon, Pioneer, Adcom, Phase Linear, and currently NAD I would say, that for my ears, Rotel has by far the nicest sound. I heard things with my Rotel that I have yet to hear with anything since. I am still kicking myself for selling my Rotel.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

You would because the BMW would easily provide you with better power and handling making up for your lack of skill. Your not comparing apples to apples anymore.

Bottom line, speakers being equal and of good quality, the Rotel should do a better job than the Pioneer. Unfortunately, if the speakers are of low quality, doubt the Rotel advantage will be heard.

CurtisC

Second Unit
I guess I agree,without the rest of the kit to back it up the Rotel would be of limited benefit,good luck.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
JB

Your experience with BMW reliability vs. Honda reliability is certainly at odds with everything else I have heard anecdotaly, but much more significantly, Consumer Reports, that bases its reliability ratings on responses from more than 810,000 surveys, finds the Honda Accord much more reliable especially after the first year. I can go into significant detail. BMW is notorious for electrical problems and problems with power equipment (I'll dig up exactly what that covers if you really want to know). In both areas, the 3 series falls to much worse than average for 1998 models. The Honda Accord, on the other hand scores nothing less than average in any of the 14 categories going back all the way to 1997.

Obviously, you live in a charmed world :)

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

Yes and No Amir :)

My point is, those who own Rotel gear (anology BMW's) probably at one time in their life owned Pioneer type gear (Honda's) and would say there is no comparison between the two. Luckily, there is a market for both products based on budget, personal preferences and priorities (this is called "opportunity cost" in accounting terms) and great that you have a choice.

Your original post (OP) asked if the about $700 Rotel RSX-1056 (new $1100-$1300) would be a good purchase and my answer was YES. Also, "about" $700 suggests you could get it for $600? :) But if your budget is $400 and you want HDMI in/out, the arguement is over, the Rotel is not in your sphere for comparison and the Pioneer 1016 is.

Just for fun, when you get your Pioneer 1016, ask to borrow your friends Rotel RSX-1056 and compare both... Better yet, don't because I don't want you to regret your decision and not enjoy your Home Theater and have the upgrade bug so quickly! ;-) However, you may not see the difference and be truely happy with your Pioneer decision. This is also why I advise you try both before buying if $700 is in your buget...

Now back to automobile analogies:

You are about to go on a liesurly drive through curvy mountainous roads on a beautiful day... do you want to be in a BMW or a Honda? Why? (Just to pre-empt Arthur_S, The BMW and Honda have must be similar in functional capabilies, ie Z3 vs Honda S2000, not 318i vs S2000)

Just sayin' ;-)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And yet, and yet, .... the comparisons go only so far. The points have been made, though, and further discussion of automobiles will be considered serious thread crapping.

In fact Arthur S's post is already over the line.

Please stop that line now, folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks