What's new

Help Me Identify a Kung-fu Classic (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Must have seen it fifty times, but I can't remember what it's called (and it probably has several names).

Anyhow...

It's about a little boy who is raised/training in a temple (Shaolin?), and eventually becomes a skilled fighter. He goes through a series of training tasks (prominent part of the flick), and ultimately battles an enemy. And there's some business about a special move that he does, which has a name.

Pretty vague, I know.

So, need the name(s), and I'd like to know if it exists on DVD. Somehow, the name "Master Killer" is stuck in my brain.

Jim J

Second Unit
ahhhhhh

was this early 80s?

Kill or Be Killed
Kill and Kill Again

there were a few I think

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jim:

No, it was the late '70s as I recall. It used to run all the time on Channel 5 in NY/NJ. They had a Saturday Kung-fu theater, and this played frequently.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Awesome. I was right, "Master Killer." Looks like it's available on DVD. I owe you a beer.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Whoa! I was chuckling when I read this:

It's about a little boy who is raised/training in a temple (Shaolin?), and eventually becomes a skilled fighter. He goes through a series of training tasks (prominent part of the flick), and ultimately battles an enemy.
...because that is the plot of just about half of the Kung Fu movies out there, or at least the ones I have seen :eek:

Good job! :)

--
Holadem

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Hmmmm, maybe you guys could help me with an oldie. Saw it so long ago so my mind is sketchy on the plot.

A guy is taught a special kung-fu style that uses ordinary objects as weapons. I remember during the training sequences with his kung-fu master. They were eating and they started dueling using their chopsticks as weapons along with their bowls, their stools, benches, whatever was handy. Very cool scene.

Anyway, (here comes the fuzzy part) they hook up with different people who all have their own unique fighting styles and they all agree to fight along with them. I think someone had swords, someone had a pole, etc.

The setting of this movie is in a town and I remember the finale being this grand fight in some courtyard that required each fighter working together to defeat the enemy.

I think this movie was made in the 70's (early 80's at the latest) because I watched it when I was a kid.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
A guy is taught a special kung-fu style that uses ordinary objects as weapons. I remember during the training sequences with his kung-fu master. They were eating and they started dueling using their chopsticks as weapons along with their bowls, their stools, benches, whatever was handy. Very cool scene.
I know I've seen this scene before. I'm thinking that it is a Jackie Chan film. Maybe Fantasy Mission Force?

http://us.imdb.com/Details?0079509

Jason

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, can't help you.

While we are at it, I have TWO that I would like to identify. I hope you don't mind:

Two rival schools. The main character is of course in the "good guys" school. I believe his name was Wang Yu or somesuch. The bad guys school hires mercenaries of wildly different fighting styles to kill the good guys. The mercenaries are as follows:

- A Hindu fighter that can run around on his hands.
- 2 monks (orange attire).
- 2 Thai boxers
- A Taekwondo guy
- A vampire like dude who breaks the main characters arm, or bites it off...
- Probably a couple of others

Wang Yu, the main character ends up with only one arm and of course, defeats them all at the end...

Kung Fu student. His parents/mentor/uncle/whatever are killed by the main bad guy. The guy is old, long white beard with a very strident laughter - he laughs only when he is certain of victory. That laughter gets him killed at the end, as the main character after being handed his ass, throws some kind of ball into the laughing bad guys mouth, choking him to death.

The bad guy is what really makes this movie: He has this strange technique where he traces these concentric circular patterns on the floor, recreating the candle patterns he trained in as a child. When the pattern is complete, you are pretty much in his turf.

That's all. I suspect these movies will be identified fairly quickly. I was perhpas 7 or 8 when I saw them, but I have a feeling at least #2 is a classic of some sort.

TIA

--
Holadem

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Its not Master Killer. He doesnt start off as a child in Master Killer.

Hunter,
At the end of that movie does one of the bad guys have a huge brash hammer or staff with a giant ball on the end and he breaks down a wall to get into the temple theyre hiding in?

Hunter P

Screenwriter
YEAH, I think so! I was going to mention that one dude had a staff with a big ball at the end but I wasn't sure if I was mixing memories.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
Wow, since we're all talking about obscure chop-socky flicks, can I add one? :)

- A young fighter is out to seek revenge from an old evil baddie (yes, he's got a white beard). As part of his training, he had to practice his combat moves against this bronze(?) statue which dropped small, silver balls with markings on them. He also had to do this within a certain timeframe (I remember him looking at some sticks in the ground which measured the time). I think this was because the evil baddie had a weakness during a certain time of day.

In the end, the young one ended up on the shoulders of the evil baddie, ripping his eyes out, or something like that.

Any help? I have a feeling it'll be long time for an answer, since this pretty much describes every other kung-fu flick....

8^B

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Richard: I remember that one, except for the name of course. Let me think.

Glad I started this thread. It's brought back awesome memories of Saturday afternoons, Channel 5, and kung-fu.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Guys, The Shaw Bros films have recently undergone a massive remastering in the past 3 years.The more popular ones were even done in HD. Most now have 5.1 soundtracks.These movies are being rereleased in Asia right now, they even have extras on the discs.

Heres a link

http://www.celestialpictures.com.hk/home.html

We'll have to wait and see if they end up getting US Distribution.

Ben T

Auditioning
Hey,
Being no expert in old kung-fu movies i too am seeking your knowledge in a movie i'd very much like to see again.

I'd say the movie was done in the 70s-80s, i rented it maybe 2 years ago.
I dont remember much of the story, except that the movie follows the typical young hero in training to seek revenge, or whatever, in order to beat/kill invicible bad guy.
The invicible bad guy(long white bear :P) had one weakness, his testicles. I remember the training of the "hero" focusing on breaking eggs in order to ... well you get the idea.

Only other thing i remember is the last fight at the end of the movie. Instead of showing the hero actually breaking the bad guy's testicles, they just cutted to his training where he was breaking eggs, and then another quick cut to a badly acted reaction of someone getting his balls crushed.

That aint much, but then again if someone saw it im sure he'd remember that part, and to avoid any confusion no im not joking this is real.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks