What's new

help me find my sound!! (1 Viewer)

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
alright, i have been scouring the net for a certain "sound" and havent been sucessufl. i just got the new dave matthews central park cd and the first song on the 3rd cd is names cortez the killer. for those of you who have heard this version of the song, I LOVE THIS!!! I want to find as much music that sounds as close to this as possible.

the reason that i love this song is the slow beat, guitar solo, a lot of jaming out and not all that much singing. if anyone knows of other artists that have as close of a style like this as possible, PLEASE let me know.

thanks

andy

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Um, yes, Neil Young just might be the answer.

You did realize that "Cortez the Killer" is a Neil Young song, right?

The song is also covered by Built to Spill on their live album, who you might also like. Then again, if you like Dave Matthews, you might not.

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, i like dave matthews a lot, but though i like him his sound isnt what i am looking for here. he does do a nice cover of cortez the killer but this isnt very typical of his style. ill look into neil young, thanks. any other suggestions are more than welcome!!

thanks

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
Warren Haynes plays guitar on that track w/ DMB and is responsible for much of the sound. Check out his work with Government Mule and The Allman Brothers Band.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Yeah, if you want lots of solos and jamming, light on the vocals, check out Allman Brothers. And maybe Santana. And of course the Grateful Dead.

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
cool, thanks for your input! the "live with a little help from our friends" album by government mule looks awesome. i think i may be picking that cd up soon.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
If you could get any shows from the Black Crowes in '96. Some of their jams will be right up your alley. You might not think of them as a jam band but they have a great tone.

edit: Gov't mule opened for them on part this tour. Warren Haynes played on some of the songs too.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Try out Widespread Panic(especailly their live gigs). Stevie Ray Vaughn jams(fast) like no other if you like that style of music. Early Eric Clapton especially the Layla Sessions from Derek and the Dominoes(1 cd is entirely jams). There are a few more I'll post once I get home.

CF

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
would the 96 live show be a bootleg or was there an album produced?
Sorry for the slow response. The Black Crowes allows their shows to be taped, so it wouldn't be termed a bootleg. I would be glad to burn you a copy for Blanks and Postage. Send me an email if you like.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
The track you refer to is very reminescent of jam band looseness from which DMB are no strangers to. Many of these jam bands that have been harnessed can never really be experienced unless seeing them live. I was very suprised after listening to a lot of live Pearl Jam, how far "out there" they are able to go. After a near 11 minute version of Oceans, I was stunned at there ability to improv and find their way back. I too occassionally like this style. I tend to like it better as an added treat or suprise to a more structured unit. A few I've seen/heard do this live, well:

The Roots: Roots Come Alive CD (Awesome!)
Mad Season (live video)
Pearl Jam (Their live material is very abundant and underated)
ALice in Chains
Sonic Youth

Of course you have your staple and labeled "Jam Bands":
Phish
Dead
Leftover Salmon
Widespread Panic
Which I tend not to care for much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks