What's new

Help me find a Good Subwoofer Kit! (1 Viewer)

Maddock

Auditioning
Hey Guys!
I am looking to find a "kick butt" subwoofer kit that comes with everything so I can put it together myself. 15" would be nice and of course with a good amp. My budget is between $200 and $300. Any suggestions? Most I've seen have been $400 - $500...Could I buy a brand new one complete for that? Help me out guys...and gals!
Maddock

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Maddock ... If you can go a bit more .. For $349, Parts Express will get you into a ten inch Titanic driver based subwoofer ... and that is with shipping ...

Maddock

Auditioning
Thanks Craig!
Is the 10" good enough? I have a pretty large room around 20'x20'. I'm probably stretching this with my budget , huh.
Have you heard this woofer?
Thanks again!
Maddock

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
I have heard a variation of it in a Kit a friend built ... and it will do a pretty decent job in that room. If you are REALLY handy, Call Parts Express and ask them about making a ported subwoofer using that driver, they also sell a kit for that

The ported design will deliver some extra volume for your big room ...

RayM

Agent
What is the interior volume and exterior dimensions of the sonotube in the Shiva kit? At that price it seems like a good deal!

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
The only problem with the Creative sounds kit is it is passive ... and will still require a separate power amplifier... For the budget requested, it will go well over ...

For what it IS though, it is a bargain ... :emoji_thumbsup:

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator
More info on that kit with the shiva please i dident see any on the site. This is a 12 inch shiva right? It looks good but i need more info. I have heard amazing things about the shiva.

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator
I have thought about doing an IB before but well cutting a hole in the wall in my apartment would be a very bad thing and then the deal with the room behind it or above it yeah not so good. But great idea for those that can do it. I talked to a guy that had 12 shiva's mounted below his theater room.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
If you have a hand saw and a spare weekend or two...you can very likely outgun the "kit" options significantly for about the same price.(esp if you don't care much how large the enclosure is?)

I believe you can get a good 250w amp in the $100 range now...figure another $100 for a good 12" driver. Something like an 18" diameter cylinder...a few feet tall...single 4" flared port...

That should be $250-300.

Tom V.
SVS

Morgan_

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! I hope nobody ever criticizes Tom for always trying to sell everybody a SVS sub, because as you can see, he just spit the truth about making your own sub about as honestly as he could. Hats of to Mr. Vodhanel, I'm proud to be a SVS customer!:D

Jack Keck

Second Unit
If you can put thecabinet together,I recommend the Quatro 15 and 240 watt plate amp from Parts Express. When you decide what size box you want, you can have the peices cut at teh lumberyard. Even if the driver and amp are no longer on sale, you're looking ata bit over $200 plus shipping. Even with the materials, glue and paint, you can keep it under $300 and have killer bass.

I'm not terribly handy, but that's what I did.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Nick, oops. That is a detail that I sorta overlooked. It would be tough explaining that hole to the landlord.

I commend you on your self-control. When I lived in an apartment I avoided buying good audio gear. I would always annoy the neighbors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks