What's new

Help me build some reference subs. (1 Viewer)

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator
Wheeew. Where do I start. I have been slowly upgradeing my existing HT that I put together while I was still in college. I recently ditched my Radio Shack minimus 7s and picked up JBL northridge series speakers (until I can decide on a design for custom built speakers) I have the following:

JBL E60- Front L-R
JBL EC35- Center
JBL E50- Sur L-R, Back L-R

I just ordered a Marantz 7.1 Reciever and Marantz DVD player.

My goal is to take the fidelity of the entire system up a notch.

My current subwoofer is a Kicker Solobaric L7 in a huge ported box tuned low ~25hz and powered by a peavey 8.5c PA amp. Don't get me wrong this sub puts out. It is loud and powerful and very deep. It has lead to things falling off of shelves and breaking in my home. It is however not very musical. I want more fidelity.

What I want to do is build a pair of 12" subs that I can put underneath my E60s to elevate them a bit (or not). The subs need to go low, I listen to media with 16hz material (pipe organs) on occasion but I am a fanatic about the lowest octaves. They have to be flat to right around 20Hz. My HT room is about 300 sq ft.

I'm not totally locked down to dual 12s although I think I'd like the look.

Right now Dayton drivers are on sale so I've been looking at them but none of the product designs have really sparked my attention. I'm wondering if room gain would help me acheive the low notes with a pair of 12s. .. .

Any and all input/opinions are welcome.

I know I can build a 15" superwoofer, I'd rather not for this project. Thanks.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I think it's generally easier to go deep with bigger woofers and bigger boxes.

If size is concern and you want something a bit more complicated you can research the linkwitz transform for equalizing a sub in a sealed box.

If you want musical bass with loud spl you'll probably have to go with a fairly large box (ported will also work) and it'll be easier with a 15 to make it loud. Then if you go high in SPL you might need passive radiators instead of flared pvc ports.

Look at the inductance value for the subs you're choosing from, Adire audio had a paper on how a low "Le" means a woofer will generally have better sound quality.

Maybe a budget 15" since you probably won't be paying that much more than if you bought a 12". You should get more sound and deeper bass from a bigger woofer.

If size is your concern then there are 12s out there that should work.

Your L7 Kicker sub is tuned to 25hz which is fairly high and probably why you're not getting the "real deep" bass you're looking for. Plus I think it's designed more for SPL than SQ.

I'm pleased with Adire Audio Tempest line but the Daytons on sale don't look too bad either if you're on a budget.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
You might consider looking into Rythmik Audios Servo 12 kit. It uses a TC Sounds driver built for Rythmik and the servo needs. I belive the driver is the TC-2+ but customized for the servo sensing. A pair appear to be pretty stout and SQ and Deep Extension is definitely their. The reviews are rather impressive on his servo kit (check out testimonials at the Rythmik site) and I belive its the only DIY servo sub kit out their.

Rythmik Servo link:
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/servo_product.htm

Small sealed encloser here only 2ft^³ per sub. Darins subs are actualy in slightly smaller air space per driver, 1.75ft^³.
Darin over at AVS just finished up a push pull pair of Rythmik servo subs and has a link to a nice write up on it with pic's, this review link is located in his thread. The push pull design built by Darin was due to his needs for placement in his room.

Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=634692

At the bottom of Darins first post is a link to his much more detailed review of his sub which turned out to be much more impressive than he anticipated..

Cheers
Geoff ¥

I'm going to be building an 8.4ft^3 sub using the Dayton 15" DVC driver (heard it's almost identical to the Tempest), I'll try to report back once I'm done, should start construction next weekend.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Just remember to model your cone excursion - I've got a friend with a DVC in a 340 litre sonotube - he used to have a Tempest, but he launched the voice coil. Right now, he's got the thing wired in series until I can build him a box that's smaller and ported right.

I've got a pair of sealed 3 cubic foot Quatro 15s holding up my "music" speakers (Maggie MMGs) in my living room - I really like 'em, but I only really use 'em below 50hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks