What's new

Help! How can I shut off the amps in my Sony 5ES?!!! (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
I just received my Sherbourn 7/2100, which rocks :D and I wanted to turn my Sony DA5ES into a pre/pro but I don't know how to shut off the Sony's amps. The Sony's amps are still running even when the Sherbourn is powering the speakers. Is there anyway to shut it them off?
Thanks!
James

james e m

Second Unit
I thought they were running because when I hook up speakers to the back of the 5ES it still powers them. Does the receiver only turn on when it senses a speaker wire or banana plug is hooked into it?

How are you sure it's not running?
James

Yogi

Screenwriter
The output stages on the receiver will only draw power i.e., 'work' when they have a load (speaker) connected to them. If they are left 'open' they are essentially turned off and dont draw any power. So if you have your speaker leads going into the Sherbourn then the Sony's amp are doing nothing and drawing no power or in other words they are turned off. The moment you take the speaker leads and plug them into the Sony the amps in the Sony start working and powering the speakers. So dont worry about Sony's amps when the speakers are connected to the Sherbourn.

Enjoy your toys.

Regards,

james e m

Second Unit
Thanks for the advice guys! I was just concerned because the receiver was still getting warm, so I was confused.
James

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
It still draws a little power because the amps are working normally even without a speaker... but that's nothing to worry about. It doesn't hurt the performance of the Sony as a preamp.

DanaA

Screenwriter
James,

Absolutely nothing to worry about. And don't feel at all naive for asking the question. When I got my first power amp last summer, I called Onkyo and needed quite a bit of reassuring and convincing to believe that all I needed to do was hook the amp up to the preouts and that was all there was to it. I kept on asking whether there was any setting I needed to set in order for this to work...and I asked the same questions over and over.

Until we've done something, we're pretty ignorant. After we've done it once, we think of ourselves as seasoned vets.:)

You should have seen me when I got my first set of locking cap interconnects late last year. I didn't notice instructions came with them, emailed Lex of Quantum (Catcable) in total frustration, "Hey these things keep falling off!" He patiently went through the process with me and apologized for having forgotten to include the instruction sheet. When I looked in the box, there they were. I, with red face, emailed him back to acknowledge how stupid I felt. He forgave me. :D

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
Don't some companies recommend you put an 8 ohm resistor across the terminals if the amps are not driving a load?

M.

Yogi

Screenwriter
No Mark, I dont think anyone would recommend that atleast with solid state amps. Also remember the preamp is still drawing some power so its normal for the receiver to get warm. Nothing to worry about.

Regards,

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Even when a solid state amp see's no load it still has a
transformer supplying power to charge the voltage rails
and also to power the rest of the unit.. So yes it will
still get warm. When my Onkyo 787 is used as a Pre it gets
substantialy less warm though.

Even at idle there is still a dissipation factor for any'
S.S amp (any amp for that matter)