1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Help for a home media center system

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Ensey, May 1, 2011.

1. Ensey

Ensey New Member

Hello Home Theater Forum.

I hope you will be able to solve the problems I have, before I make my investment.

I've made a picture that shows where I am and where I want to go.

Also; all items will be connected to my network (except the TV).

I need to know what kind of adapters, converters or whatever I would need to use to make my current items work.

I havn't bought the NAS and media servers and they are subject to change, if a better solution is out there - so feel free to give your input. :)

2. CB750

CB750 Well-Known Member

Welcome Christian

I see than no one has responded to your post. Perhaps this may be in part that you are asking questions concerning equipment connections which are a bit different from what we are used to seeing on this forum. It appears that you are trying to mix a bunch of computer components with some standard AV components into some sort of a hi-bred network system.

You appear to be trying to use your TV as the hub of your system, and while TV's have a lot of connections they are a poor choice for the job.

What I see missing from your equipment is the PC to handle the network control, and a receiver to connect all of your equipment together.

3. Ensey

Ensey New Member

I will have a laptop too, to set the NAS etc. up.

What other use would you have for the PC?

Also, wouldn't me having a reciever grant me an extra remote?

I will already have 2. 1 for the TV and 1 from Boxee / WD TV Live Hub.

But as I am not entirely into this scene yet, I would very much like to learn more about recievers, so if you have any suggestions - don't hesitate :)

4. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    Hi Christian, The remote can be handled by purchasing a universal remote. Many of us here like the Harmony (Logitech) remotes. I personally have an older 620 model. I have no experience with Apple products (I use Android), but I have to ask why Boxee instead of Apple TV? If you want to control everything with your iPhone, I would imagine sticking with Apple products would work best. Also, are you set on the Logitech speakers? These were created for a computer. If you got a receiver to act as your hub, you could get speakers to that will be powered by the receiver. What is your budget for this project?

5. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    There are lots of questions here:

(1) Do you expect to or need to have this record / archive Over The Air or CableTV?

(2) Was there a push behind Qnap, or Logitech, or any of these products? Was there something about it you liked?

(3) Your X-Box will not easily integrate to the Logitech speakers. This will be an almost impossibility.. I shouldn't say it quite that way, as it is -technically- possible with a series of 6 splitters and an extra A/B box, but talk about a PITA

(4) Do you have any other devices you expect to watch on your TV? Cable Box? Bluray Player? DVD Player? Sony PS3?

I think a lot of us are willing to help, the better description for your situation means: what do you expect to do? What do you want to be able to do, more then have sound come out of those speakers?

6. Ensey

Ensey New Member

First off, thanks for the active help already - feels great :)

@David Willow

I live in Denmark - so the Apple TV ain't as handsome as it is in the US.

Besides, it isn't actually availible for purchase here :)

The budget is pretty much used atm., with me buying a laptop, nas and media server.

I've thought about just going for 2.1 sound and just used the headphone output on the tv - until I can pay for a better sound system.

But on that hand, I don't have any knowledge about what brands of sound systems give the best sound for the money.

I'm not a sound junkie, so standard sound is needed, but I like the chills of sound coming from behind. So surround sound is great. In such case, I would throw a few thousand DKK on a sound system, when it comes to that. So 500-600$ would be the budget for a sound system.

@mattCR -

(1): I don't expect to record anything at all.

(2): I've heard and read a lot of good stuff about QNAP. I'd rather pay more for something that will last for a long time (which is also the reason that my laptop will be from Lenovo, despite the aggressive HP / Acer campains in Denmark). QNAP having a torrent client and itunes server seemed very good as well. But the many possibilities with teh QNAP really had me going. Last, I like the looks.

For the Logitech - it's an old sound system that performs well and I'm gonna use it, cause I don't have budget for a new one. But I heard good things about it and I never had problems with it - works great.

(3): With my HD-composite cables, I used 2-way phono-to-mini-jack converter to get the sound on the stereo. Also, PITA?

(4): What I will be watching on my TV: TV, which is going directly into my TV through MPEG4 / DVB-C tuner, XBOX, Media Server and at some point - maybe a Sony PS3 (budget also - gotta spend that money).

I want to be able to play my music, movies, series and watch TV on my TV - without a computer involved.

The only thing a computer should do is rip, transfer and control the content. But the whole system should work, when customized, without any PC turned on.

It's great with all this response - thanks again :)