What's new

Help - Fix VCR or Buy New One??? (1 Viewer)

BenP

Auditioning
Getting ready to record some TV now that the new season is coming out, and realized that the my Sony SLVR5UC (for those who don't remember, this was Sony's top of the line SVHS circa 1990) is no longer working. I'm getting sound, but the video output is essentially white noise. If I pause, I can see a picture, but there's only white noise when I play. Tried cleaning using a VHS tape cleaner (typical type you'd purchase at CC), and it didn't help.
So I'm left with a dilemma. Should I take it into my local shop and get it fixed (not sure how much it will cost, but guessing at least $100) or buy a new one. If I decide to buy a new SVHS recorder, which one is the best bang for the buck. I typically use the VCR mostly for taping television and occasionally for watching prerecorded movies. Not much on editing/cam-corder stuff.
TIA
Ben

Chris V

Grip
Real Name
chris
Ben, I would suggest trying to clean the heads on your VCR. This isn't usually a very hard task, but some people find it a little daunting if you have never been inside a VCR before. I have cleaned the heads on my VCR several times and have had great success. I use acetone with a special swab you can purchase at Rat Shak. If you do decide to take it in to the shop...thats prob what they will do, and will charge you an arm and a leg. Just a suggestion...

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
But at 10 years old, I'm surprised that it is still going? (Hey, is it free of macrovision?)
Shortcut city had them at $50. each not too long ago. Do you really nead S-VHS?
Glenn

EdS

Agent
J&R is advertising JVC S-VHS VCR's for around $129, these models were previously going for around $180.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
As a Sony servicer I would say fix it as long as it dosen't involve head replacement.This was their best mechanical chassis that had 2 or 3 relatively simple mechanical problems that could cause this symptom. Even a dirty control track head could do it in some cases.A sticky arm that pulls the tape part way in on loading is very common. It's a simple repair but must be adjusted precisely or tapes will be damaged on play or search. Dirty video heads would not give the symptom of picture in pause only (probably search too)but not in play.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
What is a vcr?
I had forgotten myself, but my girlfriend reminded me today, as she bought a Sony SLV-N81 VCR (no S-VHS) for $150 at Best Buy. She is going to hook it up tomorrow and report back to me whether or not it's any good. It looks like a nice VCR. Build quality is good as far as VCRs go these days, and in typical Sony style, it's loaded with features. The 'N81 also sports a silver chassis, which is nice.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
When my VCR recently died, it gave my the excuse to buy the Tivo machine I have been eyeing. I got the Tivo and haven't looked back since. Of course I can no longer watch pre recorded VHS tapes in my main room. This is not much of a problem, because I mostly rent DVDs now, and I still have a VCR in my bedroom.
Tivo and the like are the future, VCR is obsolete IMO. Kind of like cassette tapes.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'd take it apart and look inside. clean anything that seems dirty, but be careful not to get anything on any of the rubber parts - you don't want to dry those out. check the tape path and make sure everything is aligned correctly. look for anything unusual.
however, if all else fails i would not fix it. you can buy decent vcr's for about 150 bucks now and i believe good ones for about 200. it just wouldn't make sense (to me) to fix a 10-year old vcr.
my .02
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't pay anyone to fix it. I did that with a Sony one a few years ago and although they fixed the problem that I was having, it came back with new minor problems that just got worse. I ended up replacing it like 6-9 months later.
If you don't HAVE to have S-VHS, you can get new Sony ones from BB for $99. You can probably find 'em cheaper on-line.
Rob
---
My Equipment

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks