What's new

Help - Doris Day Fans (1 Viewer)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
That chat was almost two years ago.....

WB has pulled off many a surprise, and many a miracle since then.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw STORM WARNING released on DVD within the next few years....

It never even made it to VHS.

...and MURDER, MY SWEET was a much bigger success at the box-office and a much more famous film that STORM WARNING, so your comparing apples to oranges.

...and I think STORM WARNING is a surprisingly excellent film waiting for re-discovery. I have faith in WB. They're the best in the biz.

Ask them at the next chat and let's see what they say:)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I certainly would love for that to happen, and I will ask at the next chat. Enough asking and they may decide there is an audience for it. I think the movie has held up remarkably well.

My comparison choice of "Murder My Sweet" came from a discussion about this very topic in my office. No one (except me) had heard of the film and no one had heard of the stars, Claire Trevor and Anne Shirley. But every single one of them had heard of both Doris Day and Ginger Rogers. (And certainly Reagan.) You'd think the star power alone would have prompted WB to release it. The box office take at the time really shouldn't have a bearing. The DVD purchaser, in most cases, is not going to be the same people who plunked down 0.25 cents fifty+ years ago to see either film. It's going to be a consumer in the present who may not necessarily be a just classic film buff or a just noir buff, but would have heard of the stars and has definitely heard of the subject matter (the KKK).

But I agree that WB has been doing a remarkable job. They deserve many kudos for how they handle their DVD business.

John

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Add me to the list too - At the moment I have Pajama Game, Send Me No Flowers,The Thrill Of It All & Pillow Talk on dvd as well as a widescreen edition of Lucky Me (1955) on Laserdisc.If the laserdisc of this film is any indication than the dvd should look beautiful. I just love watching the way Miami (I assume it is) looked at that time - great shots and wonderful tunes - I hope all of her films are not too far off and it would be so nice to hear from her - if only she might consider a commentary or two. It is my understanding that either Tea For Two, By The Silvery Moon or On Moonlight Bay was her favorite film - I cannot remember which one. :)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I think the reason that no one knows it is that it hasn't been shown in years. I've never seen it shown on TV. I know someone on this forum said they saw it on TV once, but at least in the past 20 years, it hasn't been shown. Not on TCM or AMC or any of those channels.

The only time I've seen a clip of it was after Reagan's death, Doris Day called into the Bill O'Reilly show on Fox News and they showed a very brief clip of it, looked to be from a bootleg tape or something the quality was so bad.

Recently, a few VHS copies showed up on Ebay, bootlegs of course and they went for over $50 each. I'm sure there would be some demand for it on DVD.

Charles H

Screenwriter
STORM WARNING showed on Cinemax, Flix, and AMC in an official, decent print in the mid-nineties. It's a terrific film, even if the plot is a rip-off (at least as far as character dynamics) of STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE--filmed the same year by Warners (1950): Doris Day = Stella!!!).
By the by, STORM WARNING was the film shown at THE LAST PICTURE SHOW in Larry McMurtry's novel. It was replaced by RED RIVER in Bogdanovich's film version.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Seriously??? I had Cinemax and AMC then, even subscribed to the AMC Magazine that listed everything they showed. I'd read it cover to cover, making notes on what movies were on that month that I wanted to see and never saw it listed. Cinemax used to have the weekly "Not on Home Video" show where they would show a different film that wasn't available on video, but I never saw it listed there.

Now at least I have it plugged into my Wish List on Tivo so I won't miss it again. It probably is my most wanted to see movie.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit

The laserdisc was great for the time. A color corrected, 5.1 transfer in the CORRECT AR DVD would be most welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks