What's new

help connecting dish receiver to home theater and hdtv (1 Viewer)

stesin

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
I have a new panasonic tc-p60s30 hdtv. I would like to connect it to a sony home theater model dav fx10 which has no hdmi connections, and a dish hd receiver model vip211. Dish receiver has hdmi out. What is the proper way to hook this up for great sound and audio? Thanks for the help.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Connect a component video cable (the red, blue and green one) to the Dish receivers component output and the Sony systems component input. Then connect another component cable between the Sony systems component output and the component input on the Panasonic.That handles video. For audio use an optical cable between the Dish receiver and the Sony system. Go into the menu of the Dish receiver and select System Setup (#6) and then select Audio Output (#6) and make sure Dolby Digital/PCM is selected. Then go back to the Main Menu page and select HDTV Setup (#7) and set the Tv Type to 1080i and the Aspect Ratio to 16 X 9. You may also have to go into the Sony systems setup menu and "assign" the optical input and component inputs. You also have to select P Auto (Progressive Auto) by pressing the Function button on the remote until DVD appears and hit the Progress button near the bottom of the remote to enjoy Progress Scan from the Sony's dvd player which your new tv can display.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
You could also run the video to your TV via HDMI and audio to the receiver via optical. Then if you didn't really want/need surround (for news maybe?) you wouldn't need your Sony home theater system on using electricity.

stesin

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
Thanks for your reply. If I use the hdmi cable to hook my dish receiver to my tv do I still need any component cables? My dish receiver only has 1 set of component outputs. Also my sony home theater has 1 set of component out, but none for input. I am still confused as to what I need to do. Please Help.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
You wouldn't need component for the Dish receiver - connect HDMI out of VIP211 to HDMI 1 input on your TV and optical into the Sony. Connect component from component out on Sony to Component 1 input on your TV. BTW - are you aware you can convert your 211 to a DVR by connecting an external USB hard drive and paying a one-time $39 fee?

stesin

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
Thanks for a fast reply. My tv is being delivered tomorrow and I will hook it up with using the hdmi and component cable as you suggested. Also the optical cable. Will I still need to go into dish setup and make adjustments? Does this setup provide dolby digital sound or I think that is what it is called? Thanks for the info about converting my 211 to a dvr, I did not know that. Again Thanks very much for your help.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
stesin said:
Thanks for your reply. If I use the hdmi cable to hook my dish receiver to my tv do I still need any component cables? My dish receiver only has 1 set of component outputs. Also my sony home theater has 1 set of component out, but none for input. I am still confused as to what I need to do. Please Help.
You're right, it only has a component output, no component inputs. My oversight :blush: . Do as Phil suggested. Hook the hdmi from your Dish receiver to Panasonic display and an optical cable from the Dish receiver to the Sony system for sound. You should also connect the Sony receiver to the Panasonic with component cables for a better picture than the composite cable for dvd playback just as Phil also said. You will need one HDMI cable, one component cable and one optical cable. And I would still go into the Dish receivers setup menu and check the audio output and the video output. You will get Dolby Digital 5.1 and 1080i resolution from the Dish HD receiver with this setup if you make the correct selections in the audio and video setup menu's. And remember to select Progressive for the Sony system for dvd playback as I suggested earlier. It's better than interlaced. When you upgraded your display you also have to upgrade the connections and the settings of all the other equipment to take advantage of the new display.

stesin

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
Thanks for your help. I will hook everything up tomorrow, if I have any questions I will be back. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks