What's new

Help choosing Component video cable (1 Viewer)

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:
It seems that BlueJean cable is the way to go, however I am curious why nobody has tried Tributaries and AudioQuest.

Hi David. I believe in the same philosophy as you - "if I can get a better picture from cables, then I'll spend more money to get them". I have the Audioquest YIQ-4 Component Cables, and they are wonderful. I am not sure how much better - if at all - than the Bluejeans, etc. But, I went with the YIQ-4s because they boasted solid silver conductors, and I had the cash for them. But, this was also before I knew what I know today about cables. And now, I need another pair for my new Directv HDTV Tuner, and I don't want to spend that kind of money again (until I have proof). So, I am probably going to try the Beldens, and if nothing else, at least I'll be able to compare the lesser priced cables with the YIQ-4s :)

Also, I have a Tributaries Sub Silver-Y Cable, and their quality is also top-notch (inside and out). I am very curious of their Silver Component Cables. Not sure if they are worth their higher prices though...

Mark Rich

Second Unit
David,

The reason the Rhino and Bolder cables cost so much is the complex nature of the cables.They start with the expensive Belden 1695a (Teflon version of the affordable 1694a) and they then add additional shielding, capacitors and protection to the assembly. Major pain in the neck to make! I think Chu stated they were over engineered but....

If you need 12m cables I'd suggest you look at the Belden 1695a cable from either Bluejeans or if you want a little better performance and finnish the Rhino Performance series version of it. I've always found Teflon to be a performance enhancement in any cable I've tried.

Have you looked at avcable.com yet? Gepco cables are every bit as good as belden and canare and affordable too.

Doubt I would spend a $100 bucks on a slip on filter/sleeve and put it on an affordable cable like the belden 1694a! Can't imagine what the filter is made of that would cost a $100. Guess if you can see a $100 improvement who am I to argue, to each their own as they say.

Maybe Chu can look at this Z-Filter and give some of his feedback on it? An e-mail to Z-cable asking them to explain the science behind this filter would be most imteresting. I'd do it but this scientific mumbo-jumbo goes way over my head.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It's a take off on various metallized cloths...do a search on "RFI cloth" and see if a manufacturer will send you an evaluation sample. The thinner the spacing between threads, the higher the frequency (shorter the wavelength) it'll block. Then the question becomes...where's all that nasty RFI coming from that's getting through the shielding? Maybe the Europeans should've used it on their Mars mission.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Chu,

So a cloth/filter 8 inches long at one end of a cable can clean up RFI?
Would have thought that the entire cable covered in this RFI cloth would be ideal.
I will do a search for RFI cloth, thanks.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Now I didn't say that! I'd imagine this product works somewhat like an umbrella. Perhaps if the shielding had delaminated and exposed the wire to RFI of sufficient energy and of the appropriate frequency, then it would act like a bandaid. 'Course you could always go quad-shielded too. Damned if I know why Brian observed an improvement but I've read enough of his posts to know he doesn't like RFI or stuff wandering around his 60 Hz AC line.

I think if you make an inquiry to some of these places on appropriate looking stationary then you might be able to get something like a square yard or more as well as various literature and application notes. As an aside, ever try TempurPedic foam as a vibration control device under problematic items? Again, they'll send you customer samples ;) and nag you to death by mail for the rest of your life I'm afraid.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Chu,

The ERS Z-sleeve is indeed a totally different approach to eliminating EMI/RFI grunge. My intent was not to battle RFI, per say, but to go after EMI "within" my system, which I know full well is generated (in no small quantities ;*) by my sources switching power supplies and certainly by the nature of consumer digital playback designs.

ERS paper is the only product out there that PASSIVELY attacks the nature of HF noise within the circuitry of digital components. I do not run any of my gear through a power conditioner (albeit, I do use a PS Ultimate Outlet High Current for my RPTV and EAD Ovation+ pre/pro) but run it all through a Bolder Power strip with 5 Bybee purifiers, as well as a Risch line conditioner. Both of these I do not classify as power conditioners. Yes, I do unplug when a storm is in the area.

The Z-Sleeve (I have 6) finally offers a remedy without limiting dynamics and uncovers an inner detail to the audio stream that I have NEVER HEARD BEFORE from my setup.
I use ERS paper as well inside my DVD and CDP units and the totality of these passive formulas against the white HF grungy noise (that veil that makes people hate CD's and love vinyl) presents a very welcome black background.

You know me, I always am looking to squeeze an ounce here and there- especially when it comes to signal integrity, whether it be AC in origin or the components themselves feeding off of the AC. AC IS the signal, ultimately. Clean it up and one is more than half way home. The ERS is the real deal, IMHO. I have been at this travail for a few years now and the audio has never come across the line more pristine and natural as now with the ERS.

BTW, Happy New Year to you and the Family.

Brian

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Most definitely the same to you Brian. I think you know that I wasn't taking a shot at you there. In my own objective way I was simply making an observation with no prejudice as well sharing a little information as to how others might get a free sample of something that just might be potentially useful. One of these days I'll have to give you my source for what's literally a free gallon of armor-all clone.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Fellas,

Duh, not to sound too much like an idiot before the assembled greater knowledge present, but don't you suppose David could simply get away with a 40ft x3 run of RG6 coaxial cable terminated with RCA plugs? These will be comparitively inexpensive from your local hi-fi shop (read: not Worst Buy, Circus City, etc.), and far cheaper still if David were to buy the cable in bulk and the appropriate terminations at the local Home Depot and assemble the cables himself. This is what I'm using with my FP set-up (Z1, DIY screen, Liteon source), and I find it perfectly satisfying. And cheap.
What am I missing?
Cheers.

DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks