What's new

Help choosing a reciever for paradigm monitors (1 Viewer)

Robahr24

Grip
Real Name
Robert Ahr
Need to upgrade my system. I plan on running paradigm 7's or 9's, which I will pick later, but I need a new reciever.

Pioneer Elite VSX-01, VSX-03, VSX-90 or 91

Denon AVR 2808 or AVR 889

Onkyo SR606 or SR706

I want to spend $600 at the most and I can get the listed ones above for about that much, at the most maybe $650. I like the look of the denon and pioneer elites the most but know the onkyo can be a awesome budget reciever. Which should I pick?

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
I use a a Denon 3805 for my Monitor 5's and CC370, with ADP 150's (old Paradigms) in the rear. It's sublime IMO.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Any of them should work as long as they can supply enough power.

For years, I used a Yamaha RX-V995 to power my Monitor 9s, CC-350 and ADP-170s and it sounded great. Later, I added a separate 5-channel Anthem amp (while still using the Yamaha for processing) and the sound got even better.

LD9000

Auditioning
I would definitely go with the Pioneer Elite models you mention, although I think they have already been replaced with newer models. That would make finding one of the models you mention a sweet deal somewhere. I currently own the VSX-03 and have mated them with Mirage speakers, which is an incredible combination.
The Paradigm are a warm sounding speaker - and you will need a warm receiver to go with them.
I know the Denons will sound fabulous with them as well -- but I found the best bang for the buck (plus many extras that the Denon doesn't offer ) lies in the Pioneer Elite line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks