What's new

Help Building Sub.. (1 Viewer)

MikeGee

Second Unit
Hey guys
I need some advice here. I've been looking around on here for some helpful advice on building my own subwoofer.
I would be looking at getting a 12" driver. If anyone had any links, dimensions, wiring diagrams.. anything that can help me do this cause i'm fairly new to this.
I've seen alot of you guys have some pretty awesome home made speakers so your info would be appreciated.
I've been looking around and i really like the Sonotube design.. Any help with this design would be really appreciated.

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
I've built 2 subs using Adire drivers and specs from their website. Like you, I wanted to build a sonotube sub, but I couldn't find any sonotube. :angry: MDF, however, is the ubiquitous building material of our time.

Here's an example of what's out there...

Vented Tempest Applications

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

I've seen it at Home Depot or you could check your local concrete suppliers.

"Sonotube" is just a brand name for a heavy-duty form for pouring concrete footings. I would think any brand would work in its place.

MikeGee

Second Unit
I can get my hands on Sonotube luckly. Any pages that you guys know of that describe in detail how to go about putting the whole thing together.
There is an electronics store near my house that sells all home audio parts so thats where all my pieces will come from. (I'll get to specifics on parts and brands once i get to the store tommorow)
I just need to really know some tips for putting it together. Especially the wiring the sub with the plate amp. Thanks again!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

That's the beauty of building a sub... it's no more difficult than hooking up a speaker to your receiver.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you want the absolute easiest way to build a sonosub then check this out...

http://www.creativesound.ca/details....l=EZTUBESHIVAP

$280 for all the materials, detailed directions, and driver to build a finished passive Shiva sonosub. For $20 more you can add the plate amp box kit that goes on the side. If you're looking at using a different driver then give them a call and they might be able to work a deal on the kit without the driver. That said, the Shiva is a great driver for mid sized rooms and ported enclosures. With this kit the only tool ya need is a hand-held screwdriver. It even includes a cloth sock that stretches over the entire sub and gives it a very professional finish. Check the assembly manual (linked in the product page) for specs, measurments, performance, and finished pictures.

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit

We just have the crappy thin forms at our Home Depot. Must be a regional thing.
What's crazy is that my dad tests concrete on jobsites, and I put him on the lookout for some sonotube, and even he has yet to find me any. Or maybe he's just holding out on me :D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

Well, actually I don't think Sonotube is much more than 1/4" thick. It gets its strength when you cap the ends.

MikeGee

Second Unit
Ok thanks for the links. VERY VERY helpful.
Just a couple of quick questions..
(My setup will be a single 12")
1) Connecting the -/+ speaker wire coming off the terminal binding post to my receiver.. How does the end of that connection work with the kinda RCA type input for my subwoofer

2) Since i'm going to have a single 12" i'm going to put the port hole on the bottom and cap the top. When filling with the polyfil should i just glue it all around the inner part of the sonotube? or should it just be stuffed in. My guess is to keep the polyfill quite a bit away from the driver itself...

3) Got prices on the amp/driver at my local place. I can get a 250rms plate amp for 220$ Canadian however the driver seemed a bit crappy and is only 80$ (H/P Subwoofer which i've never heard of) Anything else i can't seem to find good prices shipped to canada especially without worrying about customs.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

I have a downfiring sub albeit not a sonotube... but what I did was to use a piece of windowscreen stapled across the inside to support the fill off of the driver.

You definitely don't want the fill sitting on top of the driver.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
Your speaker +/- will connect to the 2 wires coming from the back of the plate amp. The amp should have RCA inputs on the front to connect to your receiver. You can just line the inside of the tube with egg crate foam like a mattress pad and not use any stuffing at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks