What's new

Help!!! Beginner looking for advice! (1 Viewer)

BradStoodley

Auditioning
Hi,

I'm a student in Ottawa, Canada, and I've been very interested in bringing home theater into my life. There are a couple of things that scare the daylights out of me though. Price is my number one concern. I'm looking for something in the 400-500 dollar (canadian) range. That means about 11 bucks American! :D But seriously, 500 max. It looks like the only thing I can get is an RCA HTIB, and those systems don't sound all that hot to me. Can anyone help me? Make some suggestions? Please stop me before I go to Future Shop and buy a shinsonic system! ;) Thanks

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Maybe you should try a 2 channel HT for now and get the rest of the speakers later, when you have more cash.

$500 breaks down like this -

$200 for the rec. (Used HK, Pioneer or Marantz?)
$150 for the 2 main speakers (Used Paradigms, NHT Zeros, etc)
$150 for a sub (DLS is no longer available, but maybe a new Sony SA-WM40, Used Energy, Def Tech)

I know here in the US you can find entry level DD/DTS receivers for $150 at some stores. Speakers are a matter of taste / budget. Watch the used section here for some good deals - search for what you want.

Good Luck!

BradStoodley

Auditioning
I should have mentioned, I already have a 32" Panasonic TV and a Panasonic DVD player... I just need audio (reciever and speakers + sub)Thanks!

JasonG

Agent
Hey Brad

Good to see another canuck around! If you definitely want to stick to that budget and your looking at a HTIB, then I would have to suggest the system I bought. I purchased it at 2001 audio video and it is the YHTB20 system from Yamaha. For the small space I have it really ROCKS. You get a decent receiver 5 small satellites and a sub. For a starter system I thought the sound was quite good. Just my 2 cents but I like its performance for now, and if I want to upgrade the route is there.

Good Luck with your purchase

JasonG

Shahid

Grip
Brad, you may want to look at the Onkyo HTS650 home theater system. Receiver+5 speakers+powered sub. Do a search for hts650 and you will get a bunch of hits. Beware though, that some recievers have a LFE problem in one of three playback modes, but it is my understanding that it was a problem unique to a particular production run and should be fixed (again the thread is on this forum somewhere). However, the speakers are outstanding. The system is also extensively reviewed on Circuit City's site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks