1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Help a Newbie w/ 1996 Mirage!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Garrett Lundy, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Well-Known Member

I'm a car-audio newbie with a '96 mitsubishi mirage (s coupe), help me get a good audio system!

Speakers: I don't know what size replacement speakers to get. The manual doesn't say, and the crutchfield online 'what fits my car' guide changes it opinion on what size the speakers are ! (one day its 5&1/4, tomorrow its 6&1/2).

Subwoofer: I have a truck, what kind of enclosure is best? (I'm looking for a nice flat Freq. response 20-20,000, no need to cause an earthquake).

Amps: who is a good manufacturer of amps? are the cheap ones as good as the expensive ones in a non-competition vehicle?

2. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Well-Known Member

For speakers (Coax or Component sets) I found CDTs to be a good bargain but EXCELLENT sounding sets for $149.00 for the COMP CL61 Set

For subs and amps:
    I would go with a single sub set-up in a small sealed enclosure with about 400-500 watts.

Amp would be a single 4 channel amp with the front channels powering the CDT's and the Back channels powering the subwoofer bridged.

Sub: Elemental Designs E12K Dual 2 ohms for $135.00 + shipping

Amp: Avionixx 600.4 Class AB amp 110 watts X 4 @ 4 ohms RMS $280.00 + shipping

Im assuming you already have a head unit or you can pick up a nice HU from www.ikesound.com for cheap, like the Blau Casablanca for $95.00 + shipping.

Since I don't know your budget and your Installation skills, I just put together a simple/in-expensive COMPLETE set-up with TOP NOTCH gear.

Breakdown:

HU: $95.00 (Blau Casablanca) + shipping
    AMP: $280.00 (Avionixx AXA 600.4) + shipping
    SUB: $135.00 (Elemental Designs E12K.22 Dual 2 ohms or single 4 Ohms) + shippinf
    COMP SET: $150.00 (CDT Classic CL61) Free shipping from www.thezeb.com

TOTAL : $660.00 without shipping so roughly ~$700-$725.00 with shipping: Add another $80.00 for the wiring and SUB Box...$800.00 TOTAL!!!!

I hope this helps or starts up your research on gear. I can honestly say that the gear mentioned here are HIGH QUALITY with excellent warranty from "AUTHORIZED" online dealers (Except the Blaupunct).

Good Luck
    Angelo

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Well-Known Member

Thanks alot for the suggestion!

Believe it or not I've wanted a Blaupunkt cd-player ever since I saw Robocop[​IMG]

4. Sean^M

Sean^M Well-Known Member

personally I'd look at eclipse, clarion, or alpine for the head unit.
    CDT is a great suggestion.
    eD 12K is a nice sub.. go with a sealed enclosure for a flat response and smaller enclosure.
    amplifiers.. look at something a bit better than avionxx. consider kicker or MTX amps.. if you want cheaper, look at JBL.
    as for the powe rsuggested above, be ready for a high output alternator as well.. most vehicles have a stock alternator rating of about 70A, which won't handle high current draws like that. Look to spend about $200 for a H.O. alternator upgrade, plus installation.
    knukonceptz dot com has a good 4AWG amp wiring kit for $30 too
    you'll need that for the amplifiers to do this well.

regarding the speaker sizes, best bet is to call a local car audio shop and ask an installer. I haven't worked on a newer Mirage so I'm not sure.
    Here in Michigan, nobody has forgeign cars (no joke.. it's sad.)
    best of luck

5. Chris Bates

Chris Bates Well-Known Member

1995-96 Mitsubishi Mirage Stereo Information
    Constant 12V+ Red/Black
    Switched 12V+ Blue
    Ground Chassis
    Illumination Green/White
    Dimmer Black/Yellow
    Antenna Driver's Pillar
    Front Speakers 4" Dash
    Left Front (+) White/Blue
    Left Front (-) Black/Blue
    Right Front (+) White/Red
    Right Front (-) Black/Red
    Rear Speakers 6" x 9" Rear Deck (some have 6 1/2" in rear)
    Left Rear (+) Yellow/Blue
    Left Rear (-) Gray/Blue
    Right Rear (+) Yellow/Red
    Right Rear (-) Gray/Red

Hope this helps

6. Sean^M

Sean^M Well-Known Member

that's from the12volt.com's database. I recognise the format.
    call to verify that data.
    I've caught mistakes in their database before, like them tryint to say the front door speakers in a WJ body Grand Cherokee are 6.5" when in reality they are 6x9"