What's new

Hello Dolly (1969) (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ken Koc said:
"Todd-AO sleeper"? My interest is piqued! I can't imagine what that film would be...... "Lord Jim"?
LORD JIM was shot in Super Panivision 70 and not Todd-AO. So my guess is THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY or CAN-CAN.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Well, to be fair to the poster's comments on the sky not being blue - much of the film was shot in overcast weather and the sky was never blue (even on the DVD and in production stills) this is especially true of the Garrison New York location footage (and much has been written about the rain problems they had to shoot around) You probably notice it more on the blu-ray because the picture is brighter.

Other instances where blue may seem to disappear (as in Minnie's blue dress) - the color also changed on the DVD in the same spots.

Overall the DVD was a tad darker and yes, in some shots on the Blu-ray - since the picture is brighter - some whites appear to bloom, not by much and not all whites, but there are a few cases where some very minor detail is reduced in those whites (Ribbons down my back).

The trailer on the blu-ray is also much darker, but then that's not correct either. The disc looks great for the most part and looks very much as it did in 70MM

I believe the "sleeper" the poster is referring to is "Cleopatra" coming next month

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
GMpasqua said:
. I believe the "sleeper" the poster is referring to is "Cleopatra" coming next month
. After re-reading the original post you are right that he was referring to that all time sleeper, CLEOPATRA!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
GMpasqua said:
ther instances where blue may seem to disappear (as in Minnie's blue dress) - the color also changed on the DVD in the same spots.
I noticed the color (more accurately the saturation level) fluctuations to be most pronounced in Barbra's purple dress but I chalk that up to the filming conditions (it appears more vibrant in the outdoor and filtered shots and colder inside Irene's store) and not an issue with the transfer.

It is such a gorgeous blu-ray, I think this is the first time I've sat and watched this all the way through in years. The movie is one of those we usually pop in to blast favorite musical numbers for a quick cheer-up ("Sunday Clothes" usually does the trick) but I enjoyed the hell out of it last night.

Seeing what a great dancing talent (and absoulte cutie pie) Danny Lockin was always makes me sad, though.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Will Krupp said:
I noticed the color (more accurately the saturation level) fluctuations to be most pronounced in Barbra's purple dress but I chalk that up to the filming conditions (it appears more vibrant in the outdoor and filtered shots and colder inside Irene's store) and not an issue with the transfer.It is such a gorgeous blu-ray, I think this is the first time I've sat and watched this all the way through in years. The movie is one of those we usually pop in to blast favorite musical numbers for a quick cheer-up ("Sunday Clothes" usually does the trick) but I enjoyed the hell out of it last night.Seeing what a great dancing talent (and absoulte cutie pie) Danny Lockin was always makes me sad, though.
You are right about watching this through for the first time in years. I have actually spun this thing 4 times from beginnig to end (One time just looking at the sky) since this arrived. How true about the tradgic loss of Danny Lockin. He is a ball if energy and humor in the film and I would love to have seen what he could have accomplished had he lived.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
trajan said:
I agree, the whites needed to be tone down a bit.
trajan said:
I agree, the whites needed to be tone down a bit.
Totally. See 16:25, 25:56 (no rain- the sun is out- yet the sky and the Hudson are a bloomin' arse white.
And the worse offender is at 2:24:45 all the mens suits look exactly the same washed out whitish color.

MB19

Auditioning
DP 70 said:
I also have the UK version , it also says 2.35.1 on the back
Is the UK version of Hello Dolly bluray "french dubbed" and with french subtitles like the US version? Amazon.uk does not say anything on that.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
noel aguirre said:
Totally. See 16:25, 25:56 (no rain- the sun is out- yet the sky and the Hudson are a bloomin' arse white.
And the worse offender is at 2:24:45 all the mens suits look exactly the same washed out whitish color.
Um, no. Someone else on the other thread posted a retort to this going shot by shot. Enough is really enough here. There are no blooming whites anywhere and if others are seeing such things you really need to recalibrate your TVs.

From A. Hollis in the other thread: "I went to those three time marks. The sky is overcast as mentioned on the short about Gene Kelly. The reason I call it overcast is you can see a mist on the river and in the far background. You can also see the blue of Barnaby Tucker's work apron along with other blues in both shots.

What I don't understand is your comment about the men's suits. They are various shades of grey, white and beige. It appeared to me that each man wore a different shade. I only saw one white suite and it did not bloom out.

Not trying to be snarky, but i was giving you the benifit of doubt until I went to the 2.25 mark and saw different shades of color on the suits. None were blooming white. Perhaps your monitor needs adjusting. Just a thought.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I find the transfer almost near perfect and very enjoyable."

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I'm generally pleased with the disc, but I also think the contrast is a little too bright in some shots for my taste - just a slight bit. Sometimes skin tones appear too white. Of course the color is still there and the skies are blue when they're not cloudy. The detail and color is much improved.

There is nothing wrong with the print or the colors - they're great.

This whole blue/sky white/sky discuss is ludicrous - I think we all know the poster is saying the contrast is too bright, and in some instances he may be correct. I saw the film in 70MM twice in the last 10 years and do not remember thinking the whites were too bright, but I did feel the contrast was a little too strong in this transfer (just a hair) even after I adjusted it (on two different large screen TV sets) and only in some shots

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
GMpasqua said:
I'm generally pleased with the disc, but I also think the contrast is a little too bright in some shots for my taste - just a slight bit. Sometimes skin tones appear too white. Of course the color is still there and the skies are blue when they're not cloudy. The detail and color is much improved.

There is nothing wrong with the print or the colors - they're great.

This whole blue/sky white/sky discuss is ludicrous - I think we all know the poster is saying the contrast is too bright, and in some instances he may be correct. I saw the film in 70MM twice in the last 10 years and do not remember thinking the whites were too bright, but I did feel the contrast was a little too strong in this transfer (just a hair) even after I adjusted it (on two different large screen TV sets) and only in some shots
Fair enough and end of story. It's not as good as the original that I too saw but good enough no matter if it looks exactly like the most recent struck print that haineshisway saw and keeps raving about.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Will Krupp said:
Seeing what a great dancing talent (and absoulte cutie pie) Danny Lockin was always makes me sad, though.
Agree on all points, including the sad ones.

In the big dancing numbers, Danny really stands out from the rest of the cast. That includes Michael Crawford and Tommy Tune. He has more energy, enthusiasm, and skill than all of the rest. Often he is strategically centered in the ensemble.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
noel aguirre said:
Fair enough and end of story. It's not as good as the original that I too saw but good enough no matter if it looks exactly like the most recent struck print that haineshisway saw and keeps raving about.
I believe if you look at the posts here and elsewhere you will find that it wasn't me who was raving about the print. No, I just know what these things look like. You were making very specific charges against the transfer, which I and others refuted. That is all. Nothing more to be said about it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
rsmithjr said:
Agree on all points, including the sad ones.

In the big dancing numbers, Danny really stands out from the rest of the cast. That includes Michael Crawford and Tommy Tune. He has more energy, enthusiasm, and skill than all of the rest. Often he is strategically centered in the ensemble.
Which makes it doubly sad that Fox did not include his screen test footage as part of the extras. Thankfully, it is available elsewhere, but it would have been nice to have it all in one place.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Not to belabour it, but I also found the whites slightly blown out on some exterior shots; a small blemish on an otherwise exemplary transfer. Certainly not as bad as the Bond film On Her Majesty's S.S. (also 1969).

Its also sad to notice Tucker Smith's fleeting appearance in the film. Six years earlier, he had a showy part in one of the biggest films of the year, playing Ice in West Side Story. He seemed to have a big career ahead of him, but it never happened. Some have said he was gay and refused to hide it, causing Hollywood to lose interest in him, forcing him to take small film roles and TV work where he could. You can spot him in Dolly on the train during the Put on Your Sunday Clothes number.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Mikey1969 said:
Its also sad to notice Tucker Smith's fleeting appearance in the film. Six years earlier, he had a showy part in one of the biggest films of the year, playing Ice in West Side Story. He seemed to have a big career ahead of him, but it never happened. Some have said he was gay and refused to hide it, causing Hollywood to lose interest in him, forcing him to take small film roles and TV work where he could. You can spot him in Dolly on the train during the Put on Your Sunday Clothes number.
Thanks for pointing out his scene. I have been trying to locate him in the film but I was concentrating on the waiters to see if he was one of those.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Speaking of which...during that same scene when Dolly first sings inside the train carriage, there is a VERY cute VERY gay chorus boy in the upper left hand corner of the frame with VERY big facial expressions who is having a VERY good time. I first noticed him nearly 20 years ago and I have been crazy about him ever since. I'd love to know who he is (was...?)
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks