1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello all. I have a new question regarding the screens at the front of film trailers.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by John Kilduff, Aug 27, 2009.

1. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Well-Known Member

Before that, though, I haven't been on in a while due to getting the hang of the new forum, as well as working on several other forums. I'm still here, though.

Anyway, my questions is this: For several decades, before trailers there were screens that said that the trailer was either for all audiences or restricted audiences. This has changed recently. What was the impetus behind that?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

You would all know this stuff better than I would.

2. LynxFX

LynxFX Well-Known Member

What has changed? Looks the same to me.

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Well-Known Member

All the trailers I've seen have always said it's for all audiences, even when rated R. I don't think i've ever seen one that says "restricted", what type of movies are these?

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Well-Known Member

Greg
    There was an R-rated trailer for Superbad. It's the only one I've ever seen. As I recall, it was red instead of green.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

Usually it's horror movies that have red-band trailers, to be used in front of other R-rated horror films. Restricted, or red-band, trailers can only be shown before R- and NC-17 rated films. That's why trailers for R rated films in front of PG-13 movies have an All Audiences, or green-band trailer. A few raunchy comedies like The Goods and, as Greg mentioned, Superbad have also used red-band trailers.

To see what one looks like, check out the red-band Zombieland trailer online:
    http://zombieland.com/restricted/

6. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Well-Known Member

Andrew Pierce
    I've also seen 4 or 5 red band trailers posted online recently, having never seen one before this year.

7. LynxFX

LynxFX Well-Known Member

Right but the red band trailer has been around forever, it just wasn't used that often but it is now starting to make a comeback. Nothing has changed though.

8. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Well-Known Member

yeah, I have a red-band (on film) in my random assortment of trailers -- one out of, say fifty. I don't think I've ever actually seen one "in the wild."

Of course, it can't be shown in a public movie-house except in front of an R or NC-17 film, so that limits their play quite a lot.

Leo