What's new

Hello all. I have a new question regarding the screens at the front of film trailers. (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Before that, though, I haven't been on in a while due to getting the hang of the new forum, as well as working on several other forums. I'm still here, though.

Anyway, my questions is this: For several decades, before trailers there were screens that said that the trailer was either for all audiences or restricted audiences. This has changed recently. What was the impetus behind that?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

You would all know this stuff better than I would.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
All the trailers I've seen have always said it's for all audiences, even when rated R. I don't think i've ever seen one that says "restricted", what type of movies are these?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There was an R-rated trailer for Superbad. It's the only one I've ever seen. As I recall, it was red instead of green.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Usually it's horror movies that have red-band trailers, to be used in front of other R-rated horror films. Restricted, or red-band, trailers can only be shown before R- and NC-17 rated films. That's why trailers for R rated films in front of PG-13 movies have an All Audiences, or green-band trailer. A few raunchy comedies like The Goods and, as Greg mentioned, Superbad have also used red-band trailers.

To see what one looks like, check out the red-band Zombieland trailer online:
http://zombieland.com/restricted/

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
Right but the red band trailer has been around forever, it just wasn't used that often but it is now starting to make a comeback. Nothing has changed though.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
yeah, I have a red-band (on film) in my random assortment of trailers -- one out of, say fifty. I don't think I've ever actually seen one "in the wild."

Of course, it can't be shown in a public movie-house except in front of an R or NC-17 film, so that limits their play quite a lot.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks