What's new

helli noob with question (1 Viewer)

whitejerzy

Auditioning
Real Name
timmy
I just bought a Sony bravia led tv. Also a bose cinemate series 2 . I is it possible. And how can I hook up my ,cable box,bluray, and xbox to work with bose. Thx

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Looked up bose cinemate series 2 - found the manual here: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/21channel_systems/cinemate_systems/cinemate_series2/index.jsp?model=cinemate_series2#input_output From that link, select the Details/Manuals tab - has a picture of the digital hookup for your system. And a Sony bravia led TV here: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL46NX700-46-Inch-1080p/dp/B00372CVMI/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt According to that - here are your available connections from the Sony: Connections HDMI: 4 (2 side, 2 rear; HDMI PC input capability) Component: 1 (side) Composite A/V: 2 (1 side, 1 rear shared with component) Ethernet: 1 RF: 1 (rear) USB 2.0: 1 (side) PC input (15-pin, D-Sub): 1 (side) Analog audio inputs: 3 (2 side, 1 rear) Digital audio output: 1 optical For your hookup:
cable box,bluray, and xbox
Hook all of your components up using HDMI connectors to your TV. Get an optical cable and hook up the digital audio output from your TV to your bose system. Don't go overboard on the cables - can get a 6.6 HDMI cable for $3.96 from here - need 3 of these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=181-774 12 ft optical cable: $9.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816079 -- After you hook these up - you will select an input on your TV for each source - whatever source is connected to the TV will be displayed on the screen, and the sound will go from the TV to your bose system.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I would not give up the receiver just yet - make sure you like the 2.1 system first... And don't worry about the beer - just glad I could help....

whitejerzy

Auditioning
Real Name
timmy
Yeah I used reciever wit my 5speaker system, . Still have them. Went from wall mount tv with surround. To a tv stand. Wanted a soundbar but this bose sounded so good. Plus it was affordable. Bose soundbar was 1500. To much for me. Would it be dumb to use surround sound with bose speakers connected as well?

whitejerzy

Auditioning
Real Name
timmy
Yeah I used reciever wit my 5speaker system, . Still have them. Went from wall mount tv with surround. To a tv stand. Wanted a soundbar but this bose sounded so good. Plus it was affordable. Bose soundbar was 1500. To much for me. Would it be dumb to use surround sound with bose speakers connected as well?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Would it be dumb to use surround sound with bose speakers connected as well?
I don't think you want to use both. The bose system uses some internal processing to mimic a 5 speaker system with just 2 speakers. If you like this system, then you don't want to fire up an existing 5 speaker system and have them both running at the same time. I am more inclined to go with the true 5 speaker system than a simulated one - but there are always space and wife factors involved as well... See if you like the bose sound after hooking it up first. If you do, then no need to have both...if you don't, take the bose back and go with the 5 speaker system.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
As long as you are happy with your system, it doesn't really matter what I think of bose... but, since you asked... I think that bose had a good idea around 30 years ago to separate the bass from the rest of the frequencies - producing the accustamass system (small cube speakers and a bass module). Then they haven't changed this basic design in all of this time - relying on marketing dollars to push their product. I know that from first hand experince, as when I was in college I was give the famous demo in the speaker room of the big "black shroud" box - and after hearing some music the salesman pulls off the black shroud to reveal the mini cube under it. I actually fell for the demo, and bought a set with one of my first pay checks. After getting into the hobby and listening to many different speakers, I eventually just gave these away and am much happier with my new speakers. Other companies have taken this idea and refined it, adding power to the bass module and using more modern materials and speaker design to refine the idea and make it better - and for much cheaper. The bose plastic design for their cabinets leaves a lot to be desired, as well as their 1 note, non-powered bass modules. Their is a large holes in their sound, as they don't have actual tweeters to handle the highest frequencies, and there is a large amount of data missing in the lower mid region as the sound goes from the cubes to the bass module. The bass module itself does not have much extension or range, and tends to be a 1 note "thud"... As an example of something done much better, cheaper and with the same basic design - here is a hsu system that has an actual powered sub, uses a larger center channel to handle the bass hand off better, uses actual tweeters and woofers in the mini-speakers , and while sounding so much better only costs $499.00 (vs the $1200.00 for the bose speakers....marketing is costly) http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance1.html As far as their newer stuff - I haven't heard any of their new, 2.1 simulated to 5.1 systems .. but usually the reviews I have been reading all state that you can't actually reproduce sound from speakers that are not present. I am looking at doing something small for the bedroom, and heard some good things about the zvoxaudio solutions, but I don't think I would be using these for my main system. These are more in line with the sound bars you were looking at, but have powered subs built into them. I would probably go with one of these instead of the bose 2.1 system. http://zvoxaudio.com/

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by whitejerzy

Thx again, ways ur opinion on bose, I think they sound great but ther a few who bash bose

A lot of people who bash them due not because you can get the same sound quality for a lot less money from other speaker companies.

whitejerzy

Auditioning
Real Name
timmy
Dam sux that I paid 500 and u guys say I coulda got better. Just hooked up today. Sounds better then my last surround also a lot less wires. 4 hdmi and 1 optical. Thx for info guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks