What's new

Hell in the Pacific: MGM give Boorman the shaft again? (1 Viewer)

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
I was excited back when MGM did its monthly releases of twenty catalog titles but that seems to have waned lately (I still haven't watched my copy of Lenny). The transfer quality often leaves something to be desired but I think the real tragedy is the lack of special features. Warners has done a 180 from when they started (though I don't know how The Thin Man didn't warrant a special edition), but MGM seems to be getting worse . . .

That doesn't mean I'd discuss them with the derision I save for Columbia or Universal (Paramount, while they don't release the amount of catalog they should, did give me Hud).

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

It's readily available online for little more than $9 shipped.

The MGM is the same as the Anchor Bay release, minus the full-screen presentation.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I am not so much disappointed that the original version isn't available as I am about the horrid transfer on the Anchor Bay disc, and now this MGM version.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I don't remember the picture quality being that bad at all, but that was a few years back... my HT equipment has matured since then.

I'm a huge fan of Boorman's commentary tracks... it's a real shame we don't get one on this release. A re-release doesn't seem likely for the foreseeable future.

What a waste. shame on Disney for not supplying a new transfer and shame on MGM for not tracking down Boorman for a commentary.

:thumbsdown:

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
MGM didn't bother to contact Boorman for Hope and Glory either (which I asked about at the chat prior to its release), which I'm pretty certain he would have participated in. It's not that hard to find him... hell, I found him in South America!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Nothing intelligent to contribute other than to add to the chorus of voices noting that John Boorman has been so ill-served by the studios when it comes to DVD.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Got "Hell in the Pacific" yesterday & man am I disappointed.

1st off the disc is not 16x9. I repeat the disc is not 16x9. With all the back catalog stuff being released these days you'd think MGM would break down and give us a 16x9 transfer. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: And this film is 2.35:1.

2nd beef. No sure if this was how it was presented in theaters, but there are no subtitles for Toshiro Mifune's lines. The only way to achive this is to turn the subtitles on but then you get sub's for Marvins lines also.

So my question is where there burned in subtitles for Mifune's lines in the theaters.

But am really disappointed in a non-anamorphic disc. Sorry MGM you lose big points here. :angry: :angry: :angry:

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I performed a direct comparison of the two versions last night. There is no doubt this the exact same transfer with the exact same extra (alternate ending). The only difference is the number of chapter stops and the MGM logo tacked on to the beginning.

Oh, and this new version also doesn't include a chapter listing insert inside the case.

This could have been a handsome release had Disney struck a new transfer and had MGM contacted Boorman for a commentary.

But wow... what a great movie. The beautiful cinematography in that Panavision frame is screaming for a new transfer.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

There aren't supposed to be subtitles for Mifune. The viewer is supposed to be as confused as Marvin is about what the Japanese officer is saying. And there really isn't that much dialogue anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks