What's new

Height for TV (1 Viewer)

Stan Welks

Stunt Coordinator
What is the ideal height that a TV should be? Is this just a subjective preference?

Thanks.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve

The ideal "height" of a TV should be eye level when you are seated. This will not only provide the best picture, but reduce neck strain. (The same issue as sitting in the front row in a movie theatre.)

That is one of two reasons why mounting a TV above a fireplace (as often shown in ads) is strange. (The second reason is the heat from the fireplace is a bad thing.)

Stan Welks

Stunt Coordinator
The set that I will be getting in the coming weeks will be 1080p. The current viewing distance is around 14-ft. I will take a look at the links. Thanks!

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I second the assertion: The center of your screen should be at eye level.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Slight correction: The "ideal" position is actually where your eyes are 1/3 of the way up the screen. This is due to the fact that most people don't sit with a straight back when watching movies or TV. Almost everyone is slightly reclined and having your eyes at the 1/3 mark allows them to naturally look at the center of the screen due to the angle of your upper body.

Of course, this is somewhat dependent upon your screen size and seating distance, so most people just shoot for the 1/2 way point.

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
I would say 1/3 of the way up is more important if you have two rows of seating, with the back row on a riser (not uncommon in front-projection home theaters). It's a good way of ensuring the back row won't have to crane their necks down, but the front row can still view comfortably without craning up.
In my own theater, I have but a single row, and I aimed for "about halfway" -- it's worked out well.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Well, for most HDTVs the diff between 1/3 and 1/2 is just several inches. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks