What's new

Height for Surround Speakers (1 Viewer)

Domonic A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Domonic Ableidinger
What height is the prefered height for surround Speakers?

I am not too concerned about the left side as it is againt the wall with the couch blocking anyone from walking into it. However on the left side I may be concerned as people will walk along this wall to get to the patio door.

If I am unsure where my seating position will be would you run the wire loose in the wall amd then cut the drywall and pull it out when you are situated or take an educated guess and put in a junction box now?

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
generally they are placed just above ear level, and to the sides of the listening position.

as for question number 2 I cant honestly answer that, there are alot of factors that may decide that scenario. best thing would be is too find your definant seating position in your theater area, because that is what will determine your overall speaker placement.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
2’-3’ above the listeners ears is a good height.

I would probably try to figure out how the room will be laid out, it might make it easier.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
generally above the listening position, but that can vary. in my apartment, i had them on the floor firing straight up. check out this dolby.com article.

try to figure out where the wire is supposed to go. you don't necessarily need a junction box. i guess you could just run the wire all over the wall, then punch a hole and pull the wire out? :) if you're running the wire in-wall, make sure you use the correct wiring (cl-3???)

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator
#2 response -> I had the same concerns with my side speakers, as 1 side was safe from being bumped, but the other wasnt. Also, add in the fact that my GF did NOT want to see the back end of a speaker sitting in between our dining room and living room...

fix: use Dolby's (B) alternate placement: http://www.dolby.com/graphics/ht/Hom...0110_fig12.jpg

http://www.d3f.org/misc/.ht/stands-setup-full.jpg

you can see the rear surrounds, a couple of feet off the ground, facing upwards.

Cost very little money (maybe $15 total) to make: http://www.d3f.org/misc/.ht/naked-stands.jpg

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
I don't think the height of surround speakers is as critical as many think. The reason has to do with psychoacoustics - the ears have poor vertical localisation and good horizontal localisation.

The answer also depends on the speakers you have. Monopoles are designed for their on axis response. In this case they would be pointed towards your ears to get a flat on axis response (which the room will then mess up). If you have dipoles, the height should be less critical as they don't rely on their axial response being flat. It is interesting to note that comercial theatres have the side speakers well above listening height.

I would experiment with this. Try different heights and experiment with where the speakers are pointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks