What's new

Hee Haw - The First Show on DVD (1 Viewer)

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Wanted to let y'all know that if yer a country music fan and haven't picked this up yet, you really need to. It's put out by Time Life and it includes the COMPLETE first show(even the small transitions at the 1/2 hour mark)plus clips from other episodes. I'm no expert on the audio and video technical aspects but I can tell you that to me it looked and sounded terrific. There seemed to be a few video glitches (was this shot on video or film?) and I believe that there were a few minor dust specks in some of the outdoor sequences. It's nothing that shouldn't be expected for a show of this age. Guests include Loretta Lynn who sings "Your Squaw Is On The Warpath" and Charley Pride who sings "I Can't Help It(If I'm Still In Love With You)" and "Kawliga". Also Sheb Wooley(who wrote the theme song)does a number as Ben Colder, Buck Owens does two songs, Roy Clark does one and Grandpa Jones does a banjo tune. In the bonus section it lists all the guest stars that appeared during the first season so hopefully that means that there will be more episodes coming. The front cover is not from the first show(or even from the first season)but more than likely it's from the early '70's judging by Roy's sideburns. This is one of the few shows that I watched religiously with my folks so talk about memories..."I'm a-pickin'...and I'm a grinnin'!"

Randy

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Sa-lute!
Wow, I remember watching "Hee Haw" with my parents all those years ago as well. We weren't particularly country music fans, but we enjoyed the show because it was just so silly.
Are the following two ditties (which I can still remember after 30 years) on this disc??
Where, oh where, are you tonight
Why did you leave me here all alone?
I searched the world over & I thought I found true love
But you met another and PBBTTHH you was gone!
Do you dial BR-549 to order the disc?? ;)

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
I guess the "Gloom Dispair" segment came a little later because it's not on here. The first "Pfft You Were Gone" segments are here though. I was kind of amazed at how many segments were already in place from the very beginning : The Culhanes...Pickin' and grinnin'...The cornfield...KORN News...Grandpa Jones' Supper...Archie Campbell's Barbershop...The fence that would hit you when you told a "bad" joke. The one thing that I found a little different was the ending. Remember how they would end with the "Now it's time to say goodbye" song? That's not here. Instead I think they just go back to the Hee Haw theme song. I really hope that they release more episodes. I seriously doubt we'll see complete seasons but maybe if enough people show support by picking up this DVD, who knows. I got it at Best Buy for about $11.00.

Randy

PS...By the way, The BR-549 sketch must have came later as well cuz it ain't here. Dernit!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Where, oh where, are you tonight
Why did you leave me here all alone?
I searched the world over & I thought I found true love
But you met another and PBBTTHH you was gone!
Good lord... I REMEMBER that. :D
Hee Haw... wow.. that brings back memories.
Odd that it came up now...my wife and I were just flipping through channels the other day, and we came across an ep of "Beverley Hillbillys". We stopped to watch for a bit, and Roy Clark was the guest. :D

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I don't like country music that much but I love Hee-Haw, it made it more pleasant so I may get it. I do think it represented a better era of country than modern day popular country and the humor, especially the cornfield jokes always hit the spot. If it ever came back I would hope it would lean to Alt Country rather than mainstream pop country.

Was Roy Clark a Little Rascal?

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
No, Roy Clark was not a Little Rascal. I do agree with you about being a better era of country music. I grew up listening to the old stuff. The classic stuff. Most of the music they call country today, as Merle Haggard once said, just don't turn my crank :D
Randy

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
OK, I asked about Roy because my parents always said he was but I didn't believe him, they said Little Richard was Buckwheat too, and I know that is not true, although I think he said he was as a joke once nd theybelieved him...

As for country music today, alot of the old ones have turned to modern day alt artists for support as they have been shunned by mainstream Nashville and the ilk. Loretta Lynn has a wonderful album out right now produced by Jack White of the White Stripes who also plays guitar on all tracks and does a duet. He also covered Dolly Parton's Jolene for an interesting take. I am certain The White Stripes would do Hee-Haw if it returned.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
robert blake was one of the little rascals.

i hated this show but it brings back good memories for me because i watched this with my grandfather when i was little.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Could someone who has this disc please tell me if any of the following girls are on it. If so, I just may have to buy it!:) Looking for Misty Rowe, Barbi Benton, Gunilla Hutton, or Linda Thompson. Don't know if any of these girls started during the first season, but I'd love to "revisit" them again.

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
I think Hutton is on there but I'll have to double check. The others came later. I think Barbi Benton came along in the early '70's. I'll Post again after I get off work tonight and look at the disc again.

Randy

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I just checked it and Hutton isn't on the first show but there are some clips of her on the bonus laffs part. Oh and if anyone is interested, Barbi Benton did about three albums that were released on the Playboy label. The first two were like pop country. In fact on one she did a cover version of Barbara Fairchild's hit "I Wish I Was A Teddy Bear", only she changes the lyrics to "I Wish I Was A Barbi Doll." :) On the third album it was more disco.
Randy
Hee Haw Joke : Why did the judge lock up ol' Stan Hawkins?
Bigotry, he had three wives
That's not bigotry, that's trigonomotry :D

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Thanks for checking, Randy!:D
Maybe if it sells well, they'll release Hee Haw's spinoff series, "Hee Haw Honeys" with Kathie Lee Gifford and Misty as sisters, and Lulu as Mama!

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator

I was just thinking about that the other day. I don't think it lasted long, maybe a season or two but I remember seeing it. Would definately like to see that series released as well.

Randy

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
The second volume of Hee Haw has been released and this time it's one of the syndicated shows from Feb 1974. It features Johnny Cash and Jean Shepard. The video on this one doesn't seem to be on par with the first volume but it's not horrible. It just seems that the first show was a little better. The ending looks really bad though. Junior does his BR-549 sketch, The "Gloom Dispair And Agony On Me" skit is present as well as the "Pfftt You Were Gone" skit with Johnny Cash joining Archie Campbell both times. Also since there was some discussion about it last time, this episode includes Barbi Benton, Misty Rowe and I think Gunilla Hutton. Also Lisa Todd. They don't do there famous "Gossip" sketch, I guess that came later. And Barbi doesn't sing in this one but she and the others are there this time makin' Cornfield County look a whole lot purtier :D
Randy

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Hee Haw was shot on videotape by Vidtronics. Until 1980, the ending was "We love the time we spend with you, to share a song and laugh or two. May your pleasures be many, your troubles be few.....so long ever'body, we'll see ya next week on HEE HAW!!!" In 1980, and a move to the Opryland studios, the ending theme changed to "So long, we sure had a good time. So long, gee, your company was fine. Singin' and a dancin', laughin' and a prancin'. Adios, farewell, goodbye, good luck, so long, HEE HAW!!!"
The show airs weekly, in chronological order no less, on RFD-TV. The episodes, for the most part, have been unedited running almost a full 50 minutes. A handful of episodes have been edited but only by a song generally, usually (when it did happen) being a Hagar Brothers number being left out. I don't believe these have been remastered as they look a little dull and lifeless but considering the age of the shows now being shown (40 years old), I'm not complaining.
My only gripe with RFD-TV is that it's only once per week and then they re-run the same episodes all over again. At this rate, it will take a good 20 years before they'll be done. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.