What's new

Heath Ledger's final performance in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (1 Viewer)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Still waiting to see when the release date in Canada and the US is. Strange that it is having such a hard time getting a distributor.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Im suprised that no studio wouldnt want this; if only for Heath and the movie going audiences wanting to see his final performance.

Props to Depp Farrell and Law coming in to finish the movie in his honor. Didnt they do it for SAG wages or free? Either way its way cool of them to do it.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
not sure what they were paid, but they gave all the money they made to a fund for ledgers daughter because of the lack of a updated will/questions at the time if she would be taken care of.

Originally Posted by Matt Butler
Props to Depp Farrell and Law coming in to finish the movie in his honor. Didnt they do it for SAG wages or free? Either way its way cool of them to do it.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I got invited to a private screening here in Vancouver this past weekend. Sadly, I could not make it. I REALLY wanted to see it, but I guess I will have to wait until Christmas day when it gets released here .

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
So, is Sony going to do any actual advertising for this? I imagine it's a fairly tricky movie to market, but it is Heath Ledger's final performance. Not to mention it features three other extremely popular leading men and a respected elder statesman of the acting world.

I can't imagine Focus keeping it such a secret if they had acquired the rights.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Well, we're less than 2 weeks away from the LA/NY release and less than a month from the "wide" release, and Sony Pictures Classics seems determined to keep this movie a secret from the general movie-going public. I haven't even seen the trailer in Los Angeles theaters yet, (where I have seen trailers for The Misfortunates, The White Ribbon, and even A Town Called Panic). I just can't fathom why neither Sony nor the various theater chains seem interested in showing this very appealing trailer:

www.youtube.com/watch

I know plenty of "normal" people (i.e. not "Internet geeks") who would be very interested in seeing this; they just need to be made aware of its existence.

Or maybe I really am that weird. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I liked "12 Monkeys" and was kind of lukewarm about "Brazil". This one looks like it could be good. It is kind of hard to draw a conclusion from the trailer because I think Gilliam's strong visual sense lends itself to really good trailers. His visual abilities are so strong that the result sort of elbows any sense of story aside, at least in the trailer. I almost would like to see this just for the imaginative visuals. They look incredible.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
It is frustrating that they have not promoted this film. For Pete's sake...it has so many top actors in it PLUS the final performance of Heath! I can't understand why they are not letting people know about it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
James Bs review....

http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_template.php?identifier=1933

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I was checking Fandango, and it's now playing in two theaters near me. Check your local listings as they say...

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
just got back from seeing this. it's great that we're 1 week into the year and already have a strong contender for best picture of the year. looks like it won't get as wide a release as it should but definitely make the effort to seek this one out.

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator
I really wanted to like Parnassus, as I'm a huge Gilliam fan, but I thought this was a mess. Understandable, given the exceptional challenge he had to overcome to finish the film, but worst of all, it was a dull mess. For me, the story just never had any spark, the performances were uninspiring. And after the visual splendor of Avatar, the effects to create Gilliam's imaginarium world seemed a little... amateur

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Is its heart in the right place, probably so, but Terry Gilliam's latest

film, with some entertaining segments here and there, but nothing that

really ties the film together for a satisfying look at Heath Ledger's last

film. Even with the help of some friends (Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin

Farrell) to finish off Ledger's unfilmed scenes, there just isn't much of a

hook to really remain invested in the story. That being said, some of the

imaginative sequences are nice to look at and enjoy, but it just feels like

it was all thrown together at the last minute.
I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks