1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

heat sink v. fan

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Nathan_F, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Well-Known Member

Nathan
    I need to replace an old video card in, well, an old computer. I don't need anything too fancy, as I will probably be CPU-limited (733 PIII). I am looking at GeForce FX5200 (non-ultra) cards and see many with a heat sink and some with a fan. Will the heat sink cool as well as a fan? All of the higher-end cards have fans, so my first thought is no. But you're also deleting a moving part from the equation which is advantageous from a longevity perspective.

Thanks!
    Nathan

2. John*Jones

John*Jones Well-Known Member

I'd say unless you plan on overclocking you'll be fine with a fanless video card. These mid/lower-end cards don't generate nearly as much heat as the higher-end models and thus don't require the same cooling capability. I have replaced the stock fan on my Ati AIW 9700 with a Zalman heatsink and it runs just fine.

John

3. Scott L

Scott L Well-Known Member

heatsink or heatpipe?

4. Nathan_F

Nathan
    John-- did you replace the fan because it was broken, to quiet your machine down, or because of better cooling properties? Just curious.. I do not plan on overclocking. Too much risk for the little benefit I would gain. This is a stopgap measure too.. I hope to be able to build a new machine sometime within the next year. This is just to get me by until then. I'm replacing a first generation GeForce 32MB card, so anything will be an improvement.

Scott-- the cards I am looking at have heatsinks.

5. John*Jones

John*Jones Well-Known Member

Nathan,

I replaced the fan to quite down my machine...it was the last component that was making noise. I was using the term heatsink in rather generic way...the Zalman product I have is a heatpipe . A scaled-down version of this cooling solution is offered on Saffire's Radeon Ultimate 9600XT.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say you'll be fine with either choice (heatsink w/fan vs. heatsink).

6. Nathan_F

Nathan