What's new

Heat, Receivers, and Onkyo (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does anyone have any experience with current or recent Onkyo receivers? I'm noodling a new receiver and like Onkyo. The new models, 607 and 707, seem a great value for my needs. But I've read reports that they run hot, which I'd somewhat ignored. However, a visit to BestBuy left me surprised at the very hot -- painfully hot -- Onkyo receivers in semi-closed shelving. And my media cabinet is closed, with the receiver under a TivoHD.

So I'm looking for some insights to either assuage my concerns about a hot-running receiver, or in confidence in rejecting a hot receiver as a bad design for closed cabinet.

I appreciate any experience or insights on the matter, especially on current Onkyo receivers.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I have the Onkyo 805, which is one that is supposed to get very hot. I don't have it closed in though, and it hardly even gets warm. If you must use it the way your's is now, get something else. It doesn't need to be closed in, and it definitely doesn't need something sitting on top of it. No receiver does, actually. With something on top, you're shutting off the vent holes. That's asking for trouble...........

It's a shame if you can't arrange to not close it in, and not sit something on top. Onkyo makes some fine receivers, with a lot of bang for the buck!

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Yes, you don't want anything sitting on top of a any receiver. They're meant to get hot, but they also need room on the side and especially the top to vent

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wasn't clear: the Tivo is not sitting on the receiver. It is on a shelf, which is two inches above the receiver. But it's a mostly closed cabinet, front glass door, four wood sides, and semi-open back (typical Sauder put-it-together furniture).

But there's no way to have the electronics in the open.

AaronPo

Grip
Real Name
Aaron Porter
My 606 is out in the open, but I would never enclose mine in a cabinet. Out in the open it doesn't get very hot at all, but you can definitely feel some warmth at the top vent. My wife complained about it for a few days but after hearing the system and watching a couple movies she could care less.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
My 806 is running BiAmped mains in 6 Ohm config. It gets warm and I'd never dream of closing her in because of that. I have an open Bell'O TV stand so the gear can breathe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks