What's new

head to head tourney - Joel & Ethan Coen vs. the HTF (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh, Vickie. It was a little joke. A very little joke. A play on words. It had nothing to do with the movie you were talking about, or the value of how we spend our time, or which movie is better than the other.
Well, it was funny in my head.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well, this was posted yesterday, but...
Not absurd at all, The better film won
Oh man, you have got to be kidding. I always knew that The Big Lewboski ( which is a really fun film that I enjoy quite a bit, BTW ) was overrated on the HTF. Now I know just how much.
( Just my opinion, as always. )
To today's round... I'm inclined to vote for Blood Simple, which is one of my top 3 Coen films, but I'll vote instead for LOTR: FOTR, at least partly on the basis of its role in the defining of a new film trilogy that hasn't been matched since the heady days of 1977 and Star Wars. And before anyone questions my criteria, it is a film that is more re-watchable for me, despite my love of Blood Simple.
- Walter.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
One could point out that The Godfather is also somewhat "overrated" on HTF. :p)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Ya know, for some reason that reminds me of my room mate back in college and how he used to point the TV remote at me and push the "Mute" button. That didn't work either.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
It's another major upset as Blood Simple wins 10 - 7.
Next up, the Coens take on Woody Allen and the Big Apple.
Round 1 - Bracket 4
Fargo vs. Manhattan
Excluded from voting: Brian Lawrence
My vote: This is a tough one as both are very good films. If I were a bigger fan of Woody Allen, I'd go with Manhattan. Seeing as how I'm not, I'll take Fargo.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Fargo, which I think is the Coen's best film and in my top 10 of the 90's. Manhattan is unquestionably beautiful, Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue is one of my favorite pieces of music, but for me, the movie falters in the story area. I don't find it nearly as interesting, moving, funny, etc as several other Allen films like Stardust Memories, Annie Hall, or Crimes & Misdemeanors.
I would have voted for FOTR in the previous vote. The last time I watched Blood Simple I found myself not enjoying it nearly as much as I had in the past, though the last 10m or so are brilliant.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Toughest bracket yet....
I think Fargo is the better film, but on any given day I'd rather watch Manhattan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks