What's new

HDTV Question (How to recieve it) (1 Viewer)

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
I know that one way to get HDTV is with a HDTV antenna.

But, can you get HD quality video through Digital Cable with a HDTV, or do you HAVE to go with the antenna for now?

Also, which do you guys feel is better: A straight-up HDTV set, or an HDTV-Ready set, so you can get the HDTV decoder thingy seperate?

Thanks!

EDIT:

Also... does Satellite TV broadcast HDTV?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
• Some digital cable providers offer HD. Check with your cable company.

• Presently, it might be better to go with the flexibility inherent in a separate HD tuner/decoder than with an integrated set. Not a hard and fast rule, however.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
First things first! Are any of the brocasters in your area even brocasting an HD signal yet? Remember that a digital broadcast is not an HD broadcast. Make sure that your cable provider is actually passing an HD signal, not all cable companies do. Find out whats available first, then work on how to get it.

Iver

Second Unit
Check here for a list of available broadcast HD stations:
NAB
Digital Cable, in most cases, is not HDTV. It's just a digitized version of the same NTSC (standard rez) signal they've been sending out in analog format (regular cable).
You have to just check with your local cable provider to find out if they have an HD option. This may take some detective work on your part since, even in cities where the cable provider has an HD option, the sales reps are not always willing or able to provide details on it (Time Warner Cable in New York City shrouds their HD service in mystery).
Besides OTA (broadcast) and cable, you can get HD as an extra-cost option with satellite TV (DirecTV, Dish Network).

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, so it is at least possible that you can recieve HD signals through normal/digtal cable. Thanks guys, I'll call and ask my local cable company.

PeteYork

Auditioning
thats weird how the Cable company people are all shady when it comes to whats in HD and what isnt.. they seem to shrug it off like its nothing big or no one needs it

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

So when you receive hd through a normal antenna do you still need a decoder box and if so which one do you recommend?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
BenS,
It depends on your TV. If it has a built in ATSC (digital) tuner, then all you need is an antenna for local HD. If it is just HD-Ready (no ATSC tuner), then you need a separate receiver.

-Robert

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Ok I work for Comcast in Washington state formerly AT&T Broadband cable and right now we offer HD signal for 2 stations in Washington State soon be quite a few more as contracts are negotiated, I cannot speak for companys like Time Warner but christ were talking bout a cable company owned by AOL who thinks broadband internet is 256kbps. Anyways, we are more than happy to answer questions on it to the extent of the knowledge of the rep. I can tell you all a few interesting facts that I'm sure most did not know. HDTV signals that are passed over Direct TV/Dish are compressed to a 720P during transmission even though your tv may say its recieving a 1080i signal from the box it may be but the transmitted picture the box is recieving is only 720p. Digital Cable does not compress the picture at all we dont have bandwidth limitations of using a satellite side by side the picture is noticeable better on a Cable vs Satellite HD signal. They compress all there signal even on there regular stations since they have the bandwidth limitations of the Satellite, as for regular digital cable channels not being real digital, most are depending on the channel. All the major Movie channels (ie HBO, Showtime, etc) are broadcasted at 480i resolution where as normal stations like say USA network are typically originated as a analog signal somewhere along the line. So it will always depend on the channel what the quality of it will be and how the network broadcasts there signal. I really have enjoyed watching a few movies off our HBO HD feed and have been really impressed with the picture quality, one that really stands out in my mind is Oceans 11 the end scene where they are watching the water spray in front of the Belagio Hotel looked absolutely awesome you almost felt water spray on your face:) I've also seen demo feed of the last Tyson fight which Showtime shot in HD and I swear you would have thought he could have reached out of the screen and hit you for making fun of him. They'res alot of great things in store with HDTV its just going to take time no matter who your service provider is.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Ben:
I'm using the Sony Sat HD100 which has been replaced with the 200. There is no perfect hd receiver out there. You just have to choose you own poison.
You can find a list of all hd receivers here.
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks