What's new

HDTV help (1 Viewer)

PeterB

Agent
Ugh! Okay, I finally took the plunge. I bought a Toshiba 65H81 a few months back. Then last week, I bought the DST 300 Toshiba HD receiver and a standard DirectTV oval satellite dish. Now, the frustration begins...
None of these things work. My antenna on my roof connected to the DST 300 gives me no TV at all, even analog, except channel 5 (the WB)! The Direct TV thing doesn't give me anything HD, even though I ordered the local channels extra package deal and they told me I could get local channels in HD with the DST 300 and the dish.
Am I missing something? I want to experience "the wonders of HD," but after all this cash, i can't even get a single high def signal. BTW, I live right int the heart of Los Angeles...
Help!
------------------
Peter M. Bracke
[Edited last by PeterB on October 18, 2001 at 08:15 PM]

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Peter,
You should be able to get all the HD channels, I am in Norwalk and I can. I think you might want to read your DST-3000 manual and make sure you have everything correct. If you have any questions feel free to email me as I have the same STB but with the 65H80.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I ordered the local channels extra package deal and they told me I could get local channels in HD with the DST 300 and the dish.
You didn't need to order the local channel package. It is just the standard definition channels (overly compressed) sent over the satellite. The only advantage to having them is if you get a DirecTivo or UltimateTV as a second receiver.
-Robert

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
It sounds like you haven't set up your DST-3000. DirecTV doesn't provide the HD programming from your local channels, that is receieved Over The Air via your antenna. Check all of your connections and read the manual. Are you seeing any signal strength for your local digital channels?

PeterB

Agent
Howdy
Thanks for the feedback. I did set up my DST 300 according to the instructions, but still get no signals. I noticed two problems...one, when i sect "Local Digital" as my source it won't lock it as my source as soon as I leave the menu. Once I go back to verify it, it switches back to "Satelitte 1a" or whatever.
The seocnd problem is if i try and scan all channels, it only pops up the analog ones, listing no digital stations at all. Even after scanning, I still get no actual analog stations when i go to those channels.
: (
------------------
Peter M. Bracke

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
What kind of antenna are you using to receive the local digital channels? It needs to be a UHF antenna. The DirectTV local channel package is superfluous--you don't need it. Your use of the phrase "standard DirectTV oval satellite dish" makes me suspect you aren't using the right dish. You need the one with TWO LNBs on it so that it's pointed at BOTH satellites, the one for the regular channels and the one for the HD channels.
[Edited last by RobertR on October 23, 2001 at 03:11 AM]

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
I did set up my DST 300 according to the instructions, but still get no signals. I noticed two problems...one, when i sect "Local Digital" as my source it won't lock it as my source as soon as I leave the menu. Once I go back to verify it, it switches back to "Satelitte 1a" or whatever.
When you have "Local Digital" as your source have you tried to enter some of your local digital channel #'s to see what kind of signal you are getting? If the signal is locked you can select enter and it will automatically go to that station and store it in your program guide. Read the manual concerning choosing your "local area." When you scan the OTA antenna input, you should detect some stations wheter analog or digital. If not, you have problems with your antenna setup. Keep us informed! :)

PeterB

Agent
Alright, now I'm still confused. DirectTV sent me an oval dish, saying I could get HD stuff, but apparently i need a "dual LNB" dish? To be honest, the DirectTV folks didn't seem very knowledgable at all about HD.
As for local digital stations, i have an antenna on the roof that seems to be UHF. When I plug the cable into my set directly, i can get VHF and UHF channels. However, when I plug the cable into my DST 300 HD receiver, i get no stations at all, analog or digital, VHF or UHF. Perhaps my box is defective?
------------------
Peter M. Bracke

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The oval dish is an 18inch by 24inch dish with two dual LNBs and an empty spot to mount a third LNB. This is the dish to get HD with. Most of the standard programming is on a satellite positioned at 101 degrees. The HD programming comes from a satellite at 119 degrees. This wide dish can see both satellites at the same time. The multiswitch seamlessly combines the signal.
-Robert

PeterB

Agent
Alright, this is what I'm confused about. All I really want are local stations.,..I could really live without cable/satellite completely. I don't want HBO or Showtime or any of that, and if I don't have basic cable I will survive.
However, my current rooftop antenna gives me nothing when hooked up to my DST 300 HDTV receiver. If I buy this 18x24 dish, will that give me local channels? Or will I still have to buy/fix my current antenna?
------------------
Peter M. Bracke

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can get HD three ways. Satellite, cable (where available) and over the air (again where available).
Since you don't want satellite, don't install the dish. You don't need it. Most HD is being broadcast on UHF frequencies. Make sure your antenna can pick them up. Also, if your current antenna is very directional, point it towards the tower. Try www.antennaweb.org to find the direction. If it's an antenna problem, a lot of people have success with a cheap UHF model from Radio Shack.
-Robert

Roger Thornton

Auditioning
PeterB,
Robert_J is correct you don't need the dish if local channels is all you're after.
I live in Santa Monica and can get all the local LA HDTV channels. I had my antenna installed by a professional installer, but initially we also had problems getting the local channels to register. The installer had a meter to measure signal strength and all were strong signals, but still they weren't registering on the Toshiba STB.
There is a screen in the setup routine that asks for your Zipcode. We had not entered a zipcode thinking that it was unnecessary. However, when we entered my zipcode and then let the STB go through the routine of "learning" the available channels, all the local HDTV channels showed up.
HTH,
Roger.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Have you done a channel scan? I can't get any channels with out picking them up by scanning, or manually adding the channel in the local ota setup on the DST3000. It must be programmed... can't just switch to it and have it tune it (which is a bit silly.)
I live outside of Boston and get all of our DTV stations with a cheap little indoor UHF antenna. LA is one of the best areas for DTV, so I think you should be fine...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks