What's new

HDTV Broadcasts in 5.1 Surround? (1 Viewer)

I recently upgraded from Cox Digital cable to Cox HDTV Cable. I was disappointed to find that just because a broadcast is in HD, it isn't necessarily in 5.1 surround. I can find plenty of listings on the internet showing what programs are in HD, but I can't find any listings that tell what broadcasts are in 5.1. Are there any that you are aware of?

Thanks!
Michael

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
most of them are in either dd 5.1 or 2.0.

did you make sure your STB is setup to output DD?

on the motorola dct6200: menu - audio - digital output - dolby digital (not linear PCM).

when they upgraded my 6200 so i could get some new channels the box was set to PCM. everything came out of the receiver in DSP mode.

ag.

Hi Andy, thanks for the response. I do have my STB set to Dolby Digital audio out. It's connected to my receiver via an optical cable.

My reciver is a Yamaha HTR-5560 with 6.1 capability. When receiving a true 5.1 signal, such as from a DVD that I KNOW is in 5.1, there's a button I can press called "Matrix 6.1" that will synthsize some of the L & R rear channel sound to the rear CENTER speaker. I like to do that because it sounds better to me. Yesterday, my first day of having Cox HDTV, I went through all the HD channels and didn't find a single broadcast that would allow me to use Matrix 6.1. That only happens when my reciever doesn't think it's receiving a true 5.1 signal.

I'm off work today, so I'm home and checking through the HDTV broadcasts again. I finally found one that works on "Matrix 6.1". It's a Bon Jovi concert on the channel known as INHD2. My receiver recognized it as true 5.1 and allowed me to use "Matrix 6.1". That proves to me that my connections and settings are correct. But I guess it also means that there really aren't many programs available in true 5.1 at this time, or at least not what my receiver sees as true 5.1. I hope my receiver isn't just being too picky!

Michael

SimiA

Second Unit
"I hope my receiver isn't just being too picky!"

LOL!
Be glad it is.
I'm frustrated that there aren't more HD channels in 5.1.
Although they are DD, most are 2.0.
I'm so glad I have to pay extra for HD! Not!;)
Vb

Hi SimiA, the only reason I upgraded was because I could do it for free. Since I have a complete package of goods from Cox, adding the HDTV reduced my High Speed internet connection by $10 a month which cancelled the extra monthly cost of the HDTV. But I must say, I'm less than impressed so far. Of course it's only been two days. I'll give it longer to see how I feel. My initial reactions are:

PROS
Beautiful picture quality on HD programs.
Great sound when it's actually 5.1

CONS
Not nearly enough HD channels.
Not good enough sound on most programming.
Picture quality on non-HD channels is actually worse than
my previous non-HD digital cable.

I mainly got it to watch the olympics in HD. I'll have a better idea of how I like this HDTV upgrade after that.

Michael

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Ive got DirecTV HD package, and in the top banner portion of the screen it will tell you if its 5.1. I dont know if Cox is similar, but I get quite a few surround sound movies and shows. not all of them however are 5.1 some are 2.0 (and yes its annoying on an HD program). I even get 5.1 on non HD channels depending on the movie being played on the premium channel. perhaps Cox does this as well.

SimiA

Second Unit
"CONS
Not nearly enough HD channels
Not good enough sound on most programming
Picture quality on non-HD channels is actually worse than
my previous non-HD digital cable."

Yeah, I use Dish Network Sat., and you're right!
Not nearly enough HD material, but that will change!
You gotta love the savings on the web connection and HD.

Your problem with SD is universal. The PQ is predicated so much, on how the signal is compressed.
You can always cancel, get a Sat dish, and then know what I've been experiencing for the $$$ spent.:D :D
Cheers, Vb

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator

I can't get any digital output from my comcast HD box (Motorola 6200) except PCM. Navigating to the audio menu from setup, I have three choices from Audio Output; TV Speakers, Stereo, and Advanced. Two other menu items are activated in audio setup when advanced is selected in Audio Output: Compression and Stereo Output. Stereo output choices are Mono, Stereo, and Matrix. I don't have a menu item for digital output.

Does anyone know if I need some kind of firmware upgrade before I have digital output in the audio setup?

Edit: The HD Box is connected to the HT receiver via Optical Out, not Digital Coax. Does that influence my ability to receive 5.1 DD output?

Chris Homer

Agent

That shouldn't have anything to do with it, mine is through optical too (if you're setup is like mine, I only had one optical input on my receiver with many devices outputing optical so I picked up a 4 port switch from RatShack). In my area I have Comcast, but this also pertains to my OTA stuff also. As far as OTA in my area, ABC and FOX are the only channels that broadcast in 5.1 all other in 2.0. Comcast only has ABC on cable and they also broadcast that channel in 5.1. As far as the other HD cable channels they very by content. Some shows on the INHD 1&2 are in 5.1 while others aren't. I just varies. A good test would be if you have FOX, check out there Sunday NFL, since they advertise that their games are in 5.1 and also check the Monday night game.

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator
I see...maybe the critical factor in my inability to get 5.1DD is perhaps the programming is broadcast in DD2.0? Good idea to tune into NFL on Fox tomorrow as a control. Thanks for the suggestion Chris.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

Precisely,

In actuality very little HD programming is originally broadcast with 5.1 sound. The only channels I get that are 5.1 24/7 are HDNet, HDNet movies, and my local ABC affilliate.

Will.MA

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I discovered the same circumstances today while playing around with the DCT6200. The issue wasn't that my box doesn't have the proper settings, but that there are very few channels that are broadcast in DD5.1. As a FYI for future reference, programming that is broadcast on the Comcast network in 5.1 has a D5.1 icon in the info section of the program guide. The D (dolby digital) icon alone without the 5.1 moniker indicates a PCM-only broadcast.

I called comcast for the third time today for troubleshooting on my HD box without a straight answer. Unfortunately for their customers, their system requires that customers leave their name and number so that someone from the "HD" department can get back to you with a solution. To make matters worse, it seems that the HD department has bankers hours, meaning they are present for only part of the day. Now there is a shining example of efficiency. All someone had to tell me was that only programs with D5.1 icon are in AC-3. Or even better yet, maybe they could print that in the troubleshooting guide that they provide with the box. Either method of info sharing would have saved me much inconvenience.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
A large amount of the HD programming I watch on Comcast is broadcasted in DD 5.1 but I must say the quality of the audio is not very good and I always have to turn the gain up on my system a good 50% to get to a reasonable level. Then when a commerical blasts in, it's WAY too loud. DD 5.1 on TV has a long way to come in my mind...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks