What's new

HDTV and Cable (1 Viewer)

Derek_OC

Grip
I am planning on getting a new tv soon and can't decide between HDTV and regular analog. I am stuck living in an apartment for atleast the next 2 years and all i can get is cable tv. Sorry to sound like an idiot but can you get cable broadcast in HDTV? If not should i just get a regular analog tv until i move out and can get satelite or still go the HD route? Any help would be great.

Thanks
Derek

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Depends on your cable provider. Call the provider and ask if the company sends HD signals through its digital cable box.

BTW, if there are no buildings obstructing the correct portion of the sky (southerly), you can opt for DBS. Federal law prohibits apartment managers and landlords from preventing you installing a dish.

Derek_OC

Grip
Thanks for the fast reply. I called up and they don't send anything HD yet but they said they are working on it and will be in the near future. I would be able to get a dish probably the way everything here is set up but then i would have to give up my cable modem so i'll probably just end up going with the HDTV and just waiting for them to send the signals.

Thanks again,
Derek

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Or you could opt for OTA high-def signals.
If he gets reception. We don't know where Derek is located. In my apartment, I cannot receive even the basic local stations OTA. And my situation is by no means unusual in this town.

Even if HD signals are not available, there can be other advantages to selecting an HD-capable TV. DVDs will almost certainly look better, especially if one is using a progressive scan player.

M.

Derek_OC

Grip
Yeah i can't get OTA signals as it is here. I have decided to go for an HDTV. I just can't see spending around a thousand dollars for a tv that i am not going to want in a couple years, when i can get one for 2000-2500 that will last me and not be out of date in a couple year....well who knows about that i guess. Anyway thanks again everyone.

Derek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks