What's new

HDMI with analog audio inputs? (1 Viewer)

MikeUp

Agent
I know I'm missing something obvious here, but maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet.

I noticed that on the connections for the Panny plasma I'm planning to buy, the HDMI input also comes with two analog audio inputs alongside it. I know HDMI supports multiple audio signal types, including plain stereo and multichannel surround. So why these accompanying and separate audio input jacks?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

From sources that are DVI and only have analog output (i.e. HD cable boxes used with just the TV for sound). So the video goes to the HDMI via DVI/HDMI cable and the audio goes R/W analog.

Just a guess.

MikeUp

Agent
DVI. Duh. yes, I'm betting that's an excellent guess.

Speaking of mixing HDMI and other audio inputs, I have a configuration question.

My home theater receiver does component video in and digital audio in (coax and optical), but not HDMI. My new DVD player has HDMI, but obviously I'd want to run playback through my receiver for movie surround sound and for music. Is it worth it to run HDMI from the DVD player to the TV just for video or is component equivalent? I've read about so many headaches with HDMI that I'd like just to use component if I can't take advantage of the audio capabilities of HDMI and I'm going to get comparable picture quality with the component.

Display: Panasonic TH-42PX60U
DVD: Oppo 970HD
Receiver: Panasonic SA-XR55K

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
99% of DVD players can only upconvert to HD via HDMI/DVI, so you have to use it for upconversion. Otherwise, there isn't much difference in quality HDMI vs component, but I imagine it varies from player to player.

MikeUp

Agent
Hmm...well, upconversion is definitely what I'm after on the Oppo (and if I'd thought about it for a minute I would've realized that), so HDMI it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks