What's new

HDMI vs. DVI BTB and WTW (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
My first projector (and at the time upscaling DVD player) used an HDCP compliant DVI input so I bought a DVI cable. Since then I have purchased a projector that supports HDMI as well as a PS3 and HD-A2. I am running HDMI to DVI adapters on both ends of the cable and while I knew it wasn't ideal just sort of though eh, I'll get around to it. The other day someone mentioned that DVI might not pass blacker than black and whiter than white. Is this true? How likely is it that the HDMI to DVI to HDMI setup is impacting my picture quality (assuming the use of quality connectors)?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
The adapters will have no effect ; all they do is move wires around. A DVI output may not emit out-of-range signals, and a DVI input may not accept them. If you have HDMI on both ends, however, this is not a consideration. If your source can output it, and your sink can accept it, the cable and its connectors cannot change that. They are totally passive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks