What's new

HDMI to DVI Connection on A3 (1 Viewer)

joesolek

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Solek
I have a 2004 Sony XBR CRT HD television which I love. I just bought a Toshiba A3 player. May question is if I buy a HDMI to DVI cable( which my tv has) will I be able to get 1080i and up convert sd dvds? I called the customer service number and they said no problem, but I don't think they are correct. Page 15 of the manual states that it does not support analog dvi. Does anyone have an insight into this? Thanks in advance. Joe

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
DVI can support both analogue and digital connections-- it is important that a customer can connect either a vga cathode ray tube, or a digital lcd to his new video card.

But most Consumer electronics don't support the analog portion of DVI. Instead, only the digital pins are active. An HDMI connection can be converted into a DVI connection with a mechanically trivial dongle.

Be sure that your DVI input supports HDCP, the encryption scheme used by nearly all upconverting DVD players, and all Bluray and HDDVD players.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Well, the "dongle" doesn't look like a dongle: it's a simple HDMI -> DVI cable.

Yes, the monitor must support HDCP and preferably have a native screen resolution of 1920x1200. And yes it works magnificent.

Cees

joesolek

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Solek
Thanks for the quick replies. Yes my set does support HDCP. The Toshiba rep seemed unsure of himself so I thought I would ask the experts on the forum.

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
You will have no problem. I have the hd a3 connected to the dvi inputs on the Hitachi using the monoprice hdmi->dvi converter. Works fine. Later purchased the Monster Ultra 800 hdmi->dvi cable on ebay. This cable is a great deal; closeouts of last year's model.

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
You should not have any issues. I have an HDMI-DVI cable between my A3 and my Mistubishi DLP set. Gorgeous picture and no problem with any upconversions on any DVDs so far.

joesolek

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Solek
I hooked everything up tonight and it worked PERFECTLY. Thanks everyone for your insight. The picture is beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks