1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

HDMI switching disruption, anyway to overcome it?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Michael Rogers, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Well-Known Member

I just got a new HDTV to replace a failing HDTV.

Both had HDMI inputs with which I connected the blu ray player, Scientific Atlanta DVR/cable box and Roku box.

On the former TV, I would be able to freeze live TV on the DVR and switch over to the blu ray player or another port on HDMI. When I came back to the DVR, there would be no disruption of the HDMI switching back and the DVR would be exactly as I left it (paused in live action).

However, on my new TV, a Panasonic, the same scenario I described would cause the DVR to disrupt (as if it was turned off and on) and when the picture returns it would be dumped back out to live. I know this has something to do with the HDMI handshake between the TV and the DVR which is somehow different from my last TV.

Switching between sources is a regular part of my viewing habit and I want to be able to go back and forth on the DVR HDMI link without it treating it as a restart.

I suppose my only alternative is to forgo HDMI in favor of component but I am wondering if there is another way.