What's new

HDMI Switcher Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I have the Sony 60" Grand Wega with one HDMI input and is capable of 1080i display. Not being ready to invest in a new display, but about to have at least 2 or 3 video units with HDMI out (PS3, HD-A1, etc.), can anyone recommend a good 3 or 4 to 1 HDMI switcher? Thanks

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'll second the Monoprice 5x1

I have it - and love it. Monopric even exchanged (for free, after 3 months) the older model/revision to the latest REV2.1, after I was having problems getting the switch to work with the new DIRECTV HD DVR I had just gotten.

Great place to do business with. If you need any cables, be sure to look there as well.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

A big, BIG thank you for providing this info link. I was desperately in need of a switcher but the thought of buying one for $300+ was not appealing. When I read the info, I immediately ordered, got it on Tuesday, and have been in sheer bliss ever since. No more swapping out HDMI cables for my one input. I'm using three right now and still have two left over for any future equipment. Couldn't be happier.

Thanks again!

wally

Second Unit
I have the same request and since this thread is a little stale, thought someone might have updated info. Did look at monoprice and liked the prices. How is the performance overall?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The Secrets of HT site have a review of a Better Cables HDMI 5x1 switcher that looks suspiciously like the monoprice one. It got a great review ... but the $ premium on the same box ... less sure about that.

Regards

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
My only complaint with the Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switch is that it introduced a ton of frame-skipping into my setup when passing 1080p/24Hz. At 1080p/60Hz it is fine.

Interesting to hear about the problems the Monoprice switch had with the new DirecTV HD DVR. I have the older rev. switch, and the HR20-700 on the way so I hope I don't run into problems. Michael, could you tell me a little more about the problems you had, so I know what to, potentially, expect?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
^Yes, I do. My Harmony 880 has worked very well with the Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switcher. The only issue I have run into isn't an issue with the remote, or even the switcher, but the fact that both HD DVD players I have had (HD-A1 and now the HD-XA2) take too long to establish a handshake with the monitor that I have to go through the Remote Assistant each time to get the right input selected on the Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switcher after the HD-XA2 has booted up.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I thought I would chime in here since I was looking for a switcher. Not nearly as cheap as the monoprice, but Bestbuy carries a switcher with remote for 200 found in the videogame section. Obviously thats significantly more, though I picked it up because it also has ports for toslink. It has four ports for both hdmi and toslink and includes an hdmi cable. I'm fairly happy with it.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
So for $50 less, is Sherwood as good (or better) a brand as Gefen? One thing the Gef offers that this one doesn't is the output to 2 HDMI ports, so I can send the picture to my TV and to a projector if I so chose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks