What's new

HDMI Switch? (1 Viewer)

fullofpaint

Auditioning
Real Name
TIm
I'm working on my parent's home theater and the receiver they have only has two HDMI inputs. I'm wiring up a PS3 and an HTPC (Macbook so dual-link DVI to HDMI cable) for my dad's birthday but they don't have any free HDMI ports. I was looking at buying a switch but don't know too much about them, can anyone recommend one? Ideally it'd either auto-detect and switch or I could program it with their UCR remote.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I've used this 4 to 1 port switch from Monoprice with good results. Comes with a remote control and my Logitech Harmony remote had no trouble learning its commands.

I paid $30 and change last year, a bit more than the $27.57 price they're offering now. I also picked up some 6 ft HDMI cables to connect all my gear for $5.45 each. (Red, yellow, blue, red and black to make it easy to keep track of the connections.) Those cables are down to $4.34.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joe

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use the 4 in / 2 out switch from Monoprice. The first one I bought had some quirks. Reading another forum I saw that Monoprice had been exchanging them for newer models that had no issues but I was a year late to that thread. On a hunch, I e-mailed customer service to see if the trade-in program was still going on. 30 minutes later the VP of customer service replied. He had looked up my order and dropped a replacement switch in the mail. He also included a pre-paid mailer to send the old one back. Hands down the best service ever. Along with the low prices and extremely high quality products, I get everything I can there. I also use their 3 ft HDMI cables in my equipment rack and a 35 ft cable from the switch to my projector.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I picked up an ONN (house brand @ Walmart) switch for $30 Cdn a few weeks ago so I could hook up both my Sat box and XBox 360 to my receiver. There's a bit of lag time in startup, but I attribute that to two factors: (1) I'm not using high-speed cables; and (2) there's an option to hook up a power supply to the switch. i think it's more the former than the latter.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
(1) I'm not using high-speed cables; and (2) there's an option to hook up a power supply to the switch. i think it's more the former than the latter.

I can promise you it isn't the former, because there is no such thing as "high speed cables". That's a marketing term that companies like Monster use to assist in separating the gullible from their hard-earned money. Don't fall for it. There is nothing that expensive cables, "high-speed" or otherwise, can do that the

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I thought high speed was a permissible marketing term, while "HDMI 1.4" and putting specific refresh rates on cables was an out-and-out lie. My understanding is that high speed cables are necessary for 3D and ethernet capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks