1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

HDMI Switch Problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mark Abrams, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Mark Abrams

Mark Abrams Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a Gefen HDMI 2x1 switch so that I could
    connect both my DISH Satellite Receiver and my Panasonic S97S DVD Player to my Samsung TV, which has only 1 HDMI input. The output from the satellite receiver is DVI, so am using a DVI-to-HDMI cable for that connect into the switch.

I can get a picture from the DVD player but the satellite
    doesn't go through. When I called the electronics store
    from whom I bought the switch, they asked whether my DISH 811 Receiver was HDCP compliant (not exactly sure what that means) -- I called DISH and they didn't seem to have any clue as to what HDCP compliant meant. Anybody ever have this problem,
    and are there certain HDMI switches that will work with satellite receivers and others that won't?

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Well-Known Member

I thought I recalled reading in this forum that HD satellite issues were via HDMI was caused by HDCP. HDCP is High Definition Copy Protection which prevents recording high def material on to HD capable recording material. Do a search on this forum and I think you'll find the exact answer.