What's new

HDMI: Some thoughts (both informal and expert) on the new connectivity (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yes. They're fine over long distances too if they are of good quality. The ones at Monoprice are well made. I have HDMI cables running 30 feet without any loss or degredation at high resolution.

The real problems with HDMI seem to be with cable boxes more often than not.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I agree about the monoprice cables. They are cheap and work well.

They also make good, cheap switch boxes. They are powered and have remote controls.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I have been looking at receivers, and it seems like I would need to spend $1300+ if I want one with more than 2 HDMI inputs. It seems ridiculous to me that they would keep making these receivers with only 2 inputs when most people who use the HDMI connections probably already have more than 2 sources.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
nice....thanks Shane for the link. Since this onkyo is a pre/pro it should not have the heat issues correct?

Is it just me or does it seem like manufactuers have moved away from pre/pros?

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I think I saw the New Denon pre/pro for $7k. Both the Marantz and Denon are looking to be a little bit more than I wanted to spend. Outlaw audio always seemed to have good pre/pros, why do they seem to be behind in this aspect right now?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Outlaw got burned a while back on the 750. They have something up their sleeves for sure but are keeping it close to their chest. After the 750 fiasco, I don't think they want to relive that.

Jon_B

Screenwriter

Correct me if I am wrong....but wasn't the 750 their amp? I haven't been online for a while, so I may have missed out on anything that happened to outlaw audio.

Gaurang

Grip
Are there any good 4x2 boxes or a splitter box?
I want the output from the receiver to go to the flat panel TV or to the projector. The splitter would be ideal.

Thanks,
Gaurang

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Yeah, I was wondering when Outlaw would come out w/ an affordable HDMI prepro. Anyone have any ideas? What about Rotel? I'm starting to look for an upgrade now that I've gone Blu w/ the PS3, and right now, it seems like the Onkyo 805 might be a good way to hold me over. Don't think I can afford the Integra prepro though. I'm not in a rush to upgrade just yet since I'm still just using a non-HDMI 1080i RPTV, and my BD collection is still pretty small. But would be good to start looking anyhow.

Thanks.

_Man_

PS: Sorry if this doesn't belong in this thread.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
Great article and info, RAF. :emoji_thumbsup:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
That article explains alot for me, I was using HDMI to DVI connection when I was using my SP 4805 and every once in awhile the player would "lose contact" with the projector and I would get a black screen. The only way to get the picture back was to switch off the projector and then back on again after a couple of minutes.

Never knew what was causing it until I read that article.

Thanks, RAF! :emoji_thumbsup:

jumbotron

Agent
Real Name
James
My friends just hook up their PS3 via hdmi and now they are saying the picture looks more grainy. I told them that they probably got a cheap cable which was not 1.3, do you guys think this is the issue because I was not 100%.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Sorry this wasn't answered more promptly. It probably fell between the cracks.

The fact that HDMI might look more grainy than (I assume) a component connection can be based on several factors, but I would not think it was the cable (unless it is ridiculously shoddy). All well constructed HDMI cables regardless of price can handle HDMI 1.3 just fine. An HDMI cable is an HDMI cable and it has nothing to do with 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and beyond. This is just ad hype.

The cause of the grain? It could be the way the TV processes component and HDMI (or the receiver if such is applicable). Even the PS3 might be slightly flawed but I think that's not very likely.

I hope some of this helps and once again, I apologize for the delay.

mylan

Screenwriter
I've got a weird problem with HDMI that has occurred twice now, I have a Denon 2910 DVD player connected straight to my Sony LCD, the audio is connected through the receiver, and i'll get audio but the video shows flashes and "hiccups" with no picture whatsoever. The first time this happened we had had some sort of electrical disruption and the fix was unplugging the HDMI and the power from the Denon and reconnecting but this did no good this time around. I connected it with a component cable I had and have had no further problems, sometimes I wonder if HDMI is all that it could be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks