What's new

HDMI repeater for home theater system? (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Welcome to the forum, Bob.

I'm guessing that you are trying to connect more devices to your Sony "home theater in a box" using HDMI. If that's the case, the answer is "No." It looks like you can connect a couple of external devices to play audio through the unit, but that's it. It has no video inputs at all. Just one each analog audio, digital coax and digital optical. The only HDMI port on it is an output, not an input.

This is why we generally do not recommend this kind of "HTiB" system. The lack of connectivity and the disadvantages of having the disc player and receiver integrated in one housing become a problem for most people as soon as they start thinking about adding to or upgrading their systems.

The HDMI repeater you linked to does not take multiple HDMI sources and send them to a single output, it does the opposite - it distributes an HDMI signal from a single source to multiple devices. So you could send the picture and sound from your Blu Ray player to a bunch of TVs around your house, much the why stores show the same movie or TV show on several monitors. But that's it.

Why don't you tell us what you're trying to accomplish and then we can figure out what you're options are.

Regards,

Joe

surfbug

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
If I buy the 4 hdmi sony a/v receiver. I'll connect the tivo to a/v receiver and connect to my home theater system. A/V receiver connect to the TV too. Will I hear the speakers on thetv too?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
What model Sony receiver are you looking at? I don't know what "4 HDMI receiver" means in this context, because it could be 3 inputs and 1 output.

You can't really add an AV receiver to and all-in-one HTiB. An AV receiver, speakers and separate DVD/Blu Ray player are what you buy instead of an HTiB. Your HTiB still has no video inputs and therefore no way to send video to your TV, and very limited ability to accept audio inputs.

An AV receiver will do nothing unless you connect speakers to it. It cannot send digital audio to another device because its function is to receive audio from other sources, amplify it and send it to its own speakers. You may or may not be able to use the speakers from your BDV-T10 on the new receiver If you can, then you should be able to connect the HDMI output on your Sony BDV-T10 to one of the HDMI inputs on an AVR, just as if it were a stand-alone disc player instead of an all-in-one. Oh, wait. No, that won't work, either. The wireless rears won't work with a new recevier.

Basically your best best bet is to sell the Sony and buy an AVR, speakers and a Blu Ray player. Because you've really reached the lmits of what the Sony can do. Wish I had better news, but that's where you are.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks