What's new

HDMI Ports not working on Denon 791 Receiver (1 Viewer)

aadeshgandhi

Auditioning
Real Name
aadesh
I got a refurb denon 791 receiver about a week back and I am facing issues with the HDMI ports... Couple of days back both my laptop and xbox were not displaying picture or playing sound.. I assumed the HDMI's to be defective and replaced those with my spare... Yesterday again my xbox (from the GAME port) did not connect. So i tried my older cable that I assumed to be defective and it started working... after some time the GAME port again became unresponsive... so I plugged the HDMI into the SAT/CBL port and it worked fine for some time then again stopped wrking... I tried the third port but it did not wrk at all. The last port that I have BD has my laptop HDMI plugged into it. I swapped it with xbox HDMI and it worked fine, so long story short only one of my ports seems to be working.. Does this mean that the piece is defective or can i reset the ports? What might have cause the ports to stop working?
Aadesh.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, welcome to HDMI.
Methinks you've screwed up the handshake.
You can't just "yank and re-connect elsewhere"*.
Basically, your Xbox says "Hi, I'm an Xbox, what are you?"
"I'm a Denon AVR 791, nice to make your acquaintance."
Turn everything off. Disconnect the HDMI. Unplug everything from the wall. (must be done in this order)
In about an hour, re-connect all the HDMI FIRST. Plug the receiver into the wall...then plug everything else back into the wall. Turn on the receiver first...then you can turn everything back on.
That will re-establish the handshake.
*by the way, BD players are most notorious for wonky handshake. Once you turn on a BD player and connect it to a receiver(which then feeds a TV) for the handshake and the "Hi, I'm a Denon 791, nice to make your acquaintance, the viewing device is X brand TV...go ahead and send am image."...
Once the handshake is made, 90% of the time, if you unplugged the HDMI from the receiver and connected it to the TV(if you did this while one or both...or even all three devices were plugged into the wall)...the BD player won't display an image cause it is expecting the 791 to be in the middle of the signal.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Correct.
Turn everything off(via the remote)
Unhook the HDMI.
Unplug from the wall(mains...whatever you want to call it).
An hour later(15 minutes is probably enough, you just want all residual power to dissipate).
A. Plug the receiver in FIRST. Then plug everything else in(after plugging in the receiver, the order you plug in the rest of it doesn't matter)
B. Connect all the HDMI.
C. Turn everything on, receiver first.
step A and B can be reversed. What matters most is the receiver is PLUGGED BACK INTO THE WALL FIRST AND THE FIRST THING TURNED ON. Everything "else" is secondary.
Case in point. My Onkyo TX-SR707 has a front HDMI. It is used with an Ipad2(via Apples HDMI connector) or one of 3 laptops. Here is the order for that...
1. Receiver OFF.
2. Ipad2/Laptop OFF.
3. Connect both ends of the HDMI.
4. turn on receiver
5. Turn on Ipad2/Laptop
If not done in that order...it doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks