What's new

HDMI Handshake (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Dennis
I have had no HDMI in or out of my LG Tv since 6 months after I bought it. I have been using Component connections. I have however been looking the internet for some solution for this problem. I ran across this article about HDMI having a handshake similar to a fax machine. http://www.stereoandvideorepairco.com/Troubleshooting/HDMITroubleshooting.html

What I get from the article overall is that the sequence of all devices being turned on is important so the handshake can connect in the same sequence each time the system is powered up. Also, connecting any cables with power on is definitely a bad idea to protect all parts of all devices, especially when using HDMI cables. It make reference to circuit boards being fried in some situation which permanently disables you HDMI and must be replaced. Does any of this ring a bell with anyone or should I just stick to component connection and quit trying to fix my HDMI.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hi Dennis!

First of all, Welcome to HTF! :)

Secondly, I'm certainly no expert at this, but have you by chance, tried just connecting your HDMI cable to your TV, plus just one other device? I'm thinking that, if nothing else, this method might help to narrow down the possible cause/s of your current situation. If connection between your TV and any one other device fails to work, then I'd suspect that would eliminate the Handshake issue as a cause. If all else fails, perhaps, you might also want to consider trying a different HDMI cable, if you have another one handy.

Best of luck to you!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HDMI cables are supposed to be "cold swapped".

IE, devices in standby, then unplugged from the wall.

Then, plugged back in.

Then turned on. Source, then TV. If there is an AVR/soundbar(with HDMI) then it is...source, AVR/soundbar and then TV.

If you don't do that...HDMI doesn't work. Those steps are in your various owners manuals.

Real Name
Dennis
Thanks. Yes the first thing I did was to bypass my Yamaha receiver with an HDMI directly to the TV. Didn't work. I hired Geek Squad from Best Buy to come in and hook the system up which they did with all new HDMI (Expensive) cables. No results and they were baffled as to why it wouldn't work. His advise was to use Component connections. The tech wanted me to pay the $140 for service but after talking to a manager i only had to pay a $40 fee. My original Yamaha receiver was struck by lighting after my HDMI problem began so although it fried my receiver I can't blame my problem on that. I bought another new receiver which did not produce HDMI with TV connected directly either. After finding the article on HDMI trouble shooting I was careful to sequence my devices for turn on...didn't help. I suspect that my LG TV has the problem but I am not buying a new TV because the component connects work fine. I have since order an older Pioneer vsx d711 receiver which has no HDMI but 2 component inputs which I will use for Blu Ray and Cable Box. The bottom line is...well I don't have a bottom line, just call me baffled with component benefits. If you have any other ideas I would love to hear them Thanks a bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks