What's new

HDMI: Do I need a new receiver? (1 Viewer)

Karim Nogas

Stunt Coordinator
I have Sony's first generation Blu-Ray player but haven't been able to take advantage of HDMI since neither my TV nor my receiver have HDMI inputs.

I'm now thinking about buying a new TV which would have HDMI. I would connect the Blu-Ray player via HDMI to the TV for video but could I retain my 6-analog cables connected to my receiver for audio?

I don't want to replace my receiver just for HDMI.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You can either use the 5.1 analog audio cables or a coax or optical digital audio cable to the receiver along with the HDMI connection to the TV for video.

Regards,

Joe

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You are probably better off using a digital audio connection between the BR player and receiver. It will give you much more flexibility in sub calibration.

Karim Nogas

Stunt Coordinator
I am now confused. I noticed on the Blu-Ray player that there is only one HDMI out port. I'm assuming that this goes to the TV but how would a receiver with HDMI ports get the audio signal without additional cables? (I thought the point of HDMI was an all-in-one solution.)

I noticed on the Denon AVR-4308CI that there are four HDMI in and two HDMI out ports. So I'm guessing that:

Blu-Ray HDMI out -> Denon HDMI HDP in
Denon HDMI Monitor 1 out -> TV

Thus both the audio and video signals are transported via HDMI and the Denon would process the audio, send it to the speakers but send the video signal to the TV?

Just trying to understand cabling options required before doing any upgrading.

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks