What's new

HDMI blu ray to non-HDMI projector? (1 Viewer)

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
Is there a way to play a blu ray with HDMI output through a projector that only has VGA-in, S-video, composite video, RS-232?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Ray Faiola said:
Is there a way to play a blu ray with HDMI output through a projector that only has VGA-in, S-video, composite video, RS-232?
Not that I know of. Which Blu-ray player do you have? What kind of outputs does it have?

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
And I don't know what "hdmi stripping" is. I'm not trying to do something funny here, just play a blu ray through an Optoma projector that does not have an HDMI input.
This is what happens when a 16mm collector dabbles in digital.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Component output blu ray players are fairly cheap on the used market, wont be 1080p but will still be better than dvd.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
And I don't know what "hdmi stripping" is. I'm not trying to do something funny here, just play a blu ray through an Optoma projector that does not have an HDMI input.This is what happens when a 16mm collector dabbles in digital.
It sounds like you're out of luck. What projector do you have? It must be an oldie.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I picked up a "ViewHD" HDMI to Composite converter for about $50 because I have the same issue with my projector. There are a couple of others available the same price range.

My current BD player has Component output but I know I can never replace it. First they sunset Component, then a year later manufacturers stopped adding Composite connections even though down resolution outputs satisfy most DRM requirements. I never saw anything in the sunset rules that forbade composite but they could have mended the original rules or imposed something else that I missed.

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
I'll
Steve Berger said:
I picked up a "ViewHD" HDMI to Composite converter for about $50 because I have the same issue with my projector. There are a couple of others available the same price range.
I'll try the Kanex. Thanks very much.

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
It really doesn't matter. It's just for me. I would never run video for an audience. My screen is 10ft wide for 1:33 and 14ft. wide for Scope. I'm not going to bother resetting my masking to watch video projection, but I was curious about seeing 3D. I realize that's impossible with a converter so I'll probably just use the regular DVD player in the theater anyway and keep the blu ray in the house. I wasn't even going to get a projector but I saw this neat little Optoma at a meeting at CBS and found it was very inexpensive. I picked one up and it really looks super even with regular DVD. I have looked forever for a lowfade 16mm print of the IRONSIDE pilot with no luck. So the first thing I ran with the Optoma was the Shout DVD. Really nice. But I'm not going to spend any kind of money on a digital projector, at least not for a few more years, when I can figure out how to make my own combined programs (trailers - shorts toons - snipes - etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks