What's new

HDMI 1.3 Receivers? (1 Viewer)

dobyblue

Agent
Real Name
Steve
If you don't care about SACD then HDMI 1.1 (and HDMI 1.0 actually) should give you all the benefits of the lossless audio codecs when decoded by the player. The Panasonic Blu-ray should have a DTS-MA firmware upgrade in February and the PS3 in March.
If you want SACD support through HDMI then you'll need HDMI 1.2. For the reasons already listed, if you haven't bought your system already, then HDMI 1.3 should be future proofed for at least the lifetime of the Blu-ray disc.

ndb1970

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Bailey

Thanks Steve, its really helpful...I suppose HDMI1.3 is the way forward but being in London/UK, probably means I will have to wait a while longer. I would also like the system I buy to be able to play CDs to a decent standard....do you know if BD or HD DVD will be good for this? I know from my research that some existing receivers and DVD players such as Arcam are good for music as well but how about the HD DVD or BD players?

dobyblue

Agent
Real Name
Steve
You're lucky enough to be in a place where people still realise that there is a need for fidelity greater than the CD.
When the PS3 is released in your area come March the SACD firmware will have been updated. The unit is already a good CD player.
I always have to get my SACDs through UK sellers as it never seemed to have taken off over here. PS3 and HDMI 1.3 will allow you to listen to your SACDs and CDs digitally through HDMI right into your receiver, a better method than using analog cables.
My advice is to be patient.
Oh and if you haven't heard SACDs and you have decent speakers, you're in for a treat.
It's lovely jubbly as my mate Delboy would say. :)
Here's a good review on the PS3 from Sound and Vision.

soundandvisionmag.com/hd-dvd-bluray/1927/shootout-3-blu-ray-disc-players-page2.html

ndb1970

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Bailey

Thank you me old china :)
Most of my music collection is unfortunately cd rather than sacd...though that could change. Can the PS3 play CDs well or would I need a dedicated player? With a good receiver and speakers will that be OK? Not sure if I need to get a dedicated multidisc player (no point I suppose in getting a bd player with psc) and not sure if I need to get something like a denon 2930 or even a hd-dvd (are they any good for music as well).

Basically I want to buy a system that I can watch movies and play music. I know a good set of speakers, a receiver and of course ther screen are important and I will get a ps3 but maybe I should get an upscaling dvd player that plays cds to a good standard (unless the ps3 will be enough)?

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
What I found was that a receiver with HDMI 1.1 won't pass 1080p video, only 1080i and audio. With my pioneer VSX-81TXV, (HDMI 1.2), it will pass/switch 1080p and the audio streams- but of course the Toshiba HD-DVD player only spits out DTS and PCM, whereas the Blu-Ray players will output the Dolby Plus and PCMs.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

The Toshibas will downsample all audio formats to a DTS stream for transmission over SPDIF to receivers than can only handle DTS. DTS is used due to its higher bandwidth (1.5Mbps)than DD. For HDMI, all formats (TrueHD, DD+,etc. ) are decoded to LPCM and transmitted at their full resolution.
BD will pass LPCM that's encoded as such on the disc, usually not "zipped" at all so no decoding/unzipping needed. As BD moves past basic authoring, it's likely they too will have to do all decoding in the player and pass LPCM to the (at least 1.1) receiver.

dobyblue

Agent
Real Name
Steve
The good thing about advanced authoring is that if you only want the main audio track as well as the picture, you will still be able to send it to your receiver that way, thus taking advantage of the receiver's audio codec prowess, should it be better than your players.
If you want the pip and commentary and pretty much ANY additional features whilst watching the movie, you will need to have the player doing all the decoding and passing it through as PCM.
I myself have only a few examples where I've ever watched a movie with the commentary track; most Kevin Smith movies where the track is hilarious and of course the Criterion DVD edition of Fear and Loathing which had Hunter S. Thompson on the commentary track. So really if I'm going to use one of the new Denon HDMI 1.3 receivers coming out later this year or the Sherwood which looks blinding, I'll most likely use the receiver's decoding abilities.
It is definitely a limitation of that particular receiver, not of HDMI 1.1
All Denon receivers currently have HDMI 1.1 and allow for 1080p switching, which is why they have the Denon Link for DSD/SACD support digitally.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The only commentary tracks I've ever watched were on my SE edition of Se7en. I think I watched it 5 times, one viewing for each track. I look back and wonder how I ever had time for that. :)
The main point I've been making to people is that they needn't wait for 1.3 (as is the common assumption) to experience the full resolution, lossless soundtracks on HD DVD and BD, they can do it now with exisitng receivers. The forthcoming receivers look cool for many reasons other than 1.3, as the flagships are the ones appearing first.

That's what I thought.

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Ok, so now that some time has passed since this thread, what are the list new HDMI 1.3 recievers coming out? Any anouncements on the next Elite series?

Onkyo 605/805
Sherwood Newcastle R-972
Denon - 2807/3807

Any others you guys have heard of? I am hoping Pioneer comes out with something, as I'd like to stick with them.

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Chris there is nothing announced yet by Pioneer that they are releasing receivers with HDMI 1.3

Onkyo will begin shipping from May on with the 605 and Denon will begin shipping from July with the 3808 and 4308 receivers.

Bo-Cephus

Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to know too between the 705 and 805, especially in the video processing area. Hard to tell from the press releases if either or both of these offer video upscaling. If either of them do I think Yamaha is in trouble.

Adam_R

Second Unit

705 = 50MHz Component inputs/outputs.
805 = 100MHz Component inputs/outputs.

= me not considering a 705.

There are probably other differences, but I stopped comparing when I saw that.

TRINADS

Agent
Real Name
Jimmy
So, what current HDMI recievers actually do LPCM via HDMI so that you can get Dolby True HD and the other new formats via HDMI 1.1, 1.2, 1.2a, so as long as the blueray/HD-dvd decodes the formats? Does the Pioneer Elite TXs 82 do this? Thanks for the time!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks