What's new

HD-(X)A1 Firmware Update now available on Toshiba website. Now version 2.4!!! (1 Viewer)

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
This evening, I am not happy.

I have waited for two weeks now for TOSHIBA to send me my Firmware Upgrade Disc.

They have not done a doggone thing!

Yes, I was also told seven-to-ten business days for the disc to arrive--and it has not. :frowning:

Seven-to-ten days has come and gone.

My patience is wearing thin.

I have not received a straight answer from ANYONE at TOSHIBA regarding this Firmware Upgrade Disc.

In fact, all I was sent was a piece of paper in the mail from TOSHIBA saying, at the bottom of the form, was that the product was on apparent back order.

That was one week ago.

One week later, still nothing.

No one I have phoned there has told me WHEN the disc has been shipped. (They have said they have them in stock...but no answer regarding a shipment DATE.)

So, here is what I am going to do...

...I am going to contact TOSHIBA regularly from now until the disc arrives.

Hopefully, this will only have to be done one more day...tomorrow.

I shall keep everyone here posted...

...to be continued...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Tina,

That's bad of them! Did you also consider upgrading through the internet connection on the machine? I personally did it that way (but I had to, practically) and within 2 minutes I had a brand new version!

Cees

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina

Hi, Cees. Thanks for the concern.

Yes, actually, I did try to download the upgrade via the internet using my Ethernet connection--which I do online access to. However, it did not seem to take. So, I had to contact TOSHIBA directly to request a firmware upgrade disc...

...which finally arrived today!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Yes, it took them one day longer than advertised. And, yes, they admitted they had them on backorder, although they never disclosed exactly WHEN they sent me my disc.

But send it, they did.

And now, I have it!!!! :)

I loaded it up after trying The Pianist, one more time, before loading the 2.0 upgrade disc.

When I acquired The Pianist HD-DVD import disc earlier this month, it simply refused to play in my HD-A1. It showed the Studio Canal insignia...followed by an error message inside of a purple box. This after I was told HD-DVD's were NOT regionally coded and could play in ANY HD-DVD player under the sun.

Well, this one sure did not.

After I removed The Pianist from the HD-DVD player, in went the 2.0 upgrade disc into the player. After my optional font of YES, I am ready to upgrade, the upgrade got underway.

15 minutes later, I was finished!!!!!!!! :)

After the disc itself ejected following the scroll of the 2.0 firmware being completed on the front of the unit itself, I tried The Pianist one more time.

This time, I got beyond the Studio Canal insignia at the beginning of the disc and onto The Pianist itself!!!!!!

I was soooo very much elated!!!!!! :D The upgrade worked!!!!!!!Solid picture, solid DTS-HD sound. (The bomb explosion at the beginning of the movie was quite riveting on my system.)

Then, I tried on a Dolby TrueHD disc, Batman Begins. I turned the menu option on for Dolby TrueHD.

This time, I was NOT denied (as I was previously on the menu by a "this machine does not support Dolby True HD" message). Once it got going, Dolby TrueHD did right by me.

Now, my confidence is restored in HD-DVD and my grudge against TOSHIBA is gone!!!!

Bring on more HD-DVD!!!!!! :) Bring on Brokeback Mountain!!!!! (My next pickup--due out Tuesday, 1-23-2007)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
:emoji_thumbsup:

Yes, it's jaw-dropping, isn't it? Both, the picture and the sound. :)
Great, that it all worked out for you now. Enjoy HD!!

Cees

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Now....

If we could get Toshiba to release a firmware version 2.5 that fixes still a long list of issues....

Seems like they are leaving us out in the cold!

Dugger

(Yo, Cees..... Happy B-Day! or belated that is!)

DaleAV

Agent
Website 1080X1092 has the 2.0 firmware. The top version called 'official' is an NRG file designed for conversion from ISO image via a Nero program.

The 2nd one, called 'unofficial' will work with any burner program. I'd recommend 'Burnatonce' as a good, easy to use freebie.

You need to sign on but it's free, and spam free.

Mick Wright

Second Unit
I tried updating to v2.0 last night but I do not think it worked. I put the disc in, and the display read 'VER UP'. Then it seemed to freeze at that point. I left it that way for a couple of hours, then finally went to bed. When I woke up this morning the player's display still read 'VER UP' so I turned it off.

Anyone experience this before? Should I try again? Do I need to do anything differently?

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Give it another shot. I upgraded using a downloaded file and the player wouldn't accept the first disc, but I burnt it again to another disc and it worked the second time. Very sensitive to the disc, it seems.

Adam

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member

You would think that Toshiba would throw us first-gen buyers a freaking bone, dontcha? Oh well, as long as my A1 is still chugging along, that's all I can ask for I guess.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Hi, guys!!!! I just wanted to quickly say thanks, again, for all the wonderful support during this transition of mine into HD viewing these past couple of months. I am having a blast with my HD-DVD's, especially since the TOSHIBA 2.0 upgrade was completed a couple of weeks ago. As an extra-added bonus, I can now enjoy my imported HD-DVD titles happily!!! I just added some more titles to my collection these past few days and I am looking forward to adding some more titles in the time to come this year. I am already ready for The Departed on 2-13-2007!!!!! I have a very fun feeling about this one on HD-DVD w/Dolby TrueHD coverage!!!!!!! :)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I couldn't tell from the Toshiba site that it is possible to download the firmware and burn to CD. I would prefer that method as I don't have an internet connection in the home theater. Did I miss it or should I request an update disc be mailed?

Chris

DaleAV

Agent
I found a site called 1080 x 1920 dot net to be a reliable download website for the ISO file.
It takes Tosh forever to send out the disks. Last time I ordered one I asked the CSR if I will get them automatically now.
He said, if you hear about the update on the internet, etc. then call us. That would probably be quicker.
There is a 2.1 on the way soon I understand. All these updates are inclusive, so you don't have do them all, just the latest.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ver. 2.1 is supposed to fix a colorspace issue. Does the colorspace issue only affect the HDMI connector or does it apply to the component outputs as well? If it only affects HDMI then I'm not sure I want to update the player right now. Except for HAPPY FEET, I have had very few problems with any of the discs that I have put through the machine. I'm of the opinion that if it aint broke....don't fix it.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Anyone have a spare 2.0 disc they would like to send ole Timobi? :)....My new XA-1 is firmware 1.4. Holy Schnikey. :D

DeeF

Screenwriter
Just to keep you all up to date -- I just called Toshiba, to see if I could get a disk with firmware 2.1. They replied -- they are pulling back on 2.1, because it has caused a lot of machines to break down. In other words, they will not send a disk, and 2.0 (which I've got) is the latest firmware for my machine (A1).

john a hunter

Screenwriter
On 2.0, my XA1 worked fine. It took me several hours to download 2.1 and since that was installed, the Tosh jams and freezes on most discs.Tosh have been helpful and say that they are urgently working on a new download to fix all the problems with 2.1.
They say you can't go back but others have said that you can. I intend to get my 2.0 disc back and try until we get the new download. If I can get back easy to 2.0, I might even try 2.1 again as I am pretty sure it was corrupted given the time it took.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks