1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

HD radio - JVC KD-HDR1?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Dan Driscoll, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

I'm looking to replace the factory radio/cassette player and CD playing in a used '93 Camry we bought a few weeks ago. The CD player doesn't have a buffer or anti-skip and the radio reception is terrible.

I'd like to get an HD radio, if I can find a decent one in my price range (under $250). Most places are selling the JVC for $280 or more, but Crutchfield has it for $199 and a $40 MIR, so the final cost is under $160. Is it worth it, or is it is piece of junk?

2. Chad_K

Chad_K Extra

I was in the car audio business for about 11 years and have been out for about 7 months now. When I was getting out HD radio was not very big yet. It was also my knowledge that you had to have a seperate tuner to receive the HD content, just like XM or Sirius sat radio. So you might double check your pricing before you commit. One good thing about HD radio is that the content is free.

I stand corrected. I just looked at the JVC you were talking about and it does indeed have the tuner built in. I wonder why they cant do this with sat radio?