What's new

HD Programming Question (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If it was impossible to buy a 19" NTSC HD WS TV in the US, and I could get one overseas and import it, I understand that since I cannot buy it here there would be zero import tax. Is that correct
Just a note of caution: a good many ‘overseas’ countries do not have 110–120v electricity—they use 220–240v—if so, your TV would need a converter in order to work properly. And for the non-digital signals, the analog tuner is likely to be PAL or SECAM, not NTSC.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the whole scene shouldn't have been done, since there are no more TV plants here, but it still might be an issue with them.

Most of the TV's we get are from countries that we have a 'deal' with, and there isn't any tax (or duty, as they call it). The duty was intended to raise the price of imported goods so that they would be on an equal footing with TV's made here.

I am sure that works of art do not count, but if we don't make an item in the US, then buying an overses product cannot hurt our economy, so there is no duty on it.

However, times have changed and from what I read of the tariff, TV's not on our 'good' list are taxed at 35%. No, I won't go there.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks