What's new

HD Plasma TV for $3099 or Not ??? (1 Viewer)

SeanA

Second Unit
I just saw a Samsung plasma TV at eCost that they are advertising as "HDTV Compatible" for only $3099, and I thought WOW !!! I know there are EDTV (480p capable I believe) Plasmas that can be had now for under $3000, but I don't recall seeing any HD Plasmas anywhere near this price.

Here is the link:

www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?action=techspec&dpno=594971#scroll[/url]

Note that resolution is stated as 852 x 480, which I take to mean lines of resolution. Is this not just 480p territory on a 42" widescreen ? If so, how can they call this TV "HDTV Compatible" ? Is that different from "HDTV Ready" ?

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Note that resolution is stated as 852 x 480, which I take to mean lines of resolution. Is this not just 480p territory on a 42" widescreen ? If so, how can they call this TV "HDTV Compatible" ? Is that different from "HDTV Ready" ?
It is an EDTV, but is capable of down converting hdtv. So in reality it is HDTV Compatible.

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
ALL of these $3k EDTV plasma sets are "HDTV Compatible", in that they will accept a signal in 1080i format.

Doesn't mean they'll actually display anywhere near that resolution, as you've obviously realized. But it sure sounds good to the uneducated. Now, if you just want to watch DVDs and SDTV these panels should be pretty good, but personally I can't see spending that kind of money on something that won't let me truly benefit from HDTV (when I get there in the next year or so... :D ).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks