What's new

HD over cable... still need my own decoder ? (1 Viewer)

Jesse H

Auditioning
I have finally taken the plunge (again), and after parting with my Sony Wega 36" XBR450 about 1.5 years ago, have a Panasonic PT53WX42 on its way to me :)

The set does not have a built in HD decoder, and I am wondering if I get digital cable (only 2 channels in HD currently) if they will supply me with a STB that will decode HD, or will I still need to have something on my own feeding through their STB ? Only option at the moment, is Comcast in Seattle, WA (which I probably wont do, only HBO and Showtime in HD as of now).

I really want to get local channels in HD, particularly for the NBA playoffs and sports. I live on the top of an 18 story building, but dont have a balcony, so very limited access as to putting an antenna somewhere (although I do face South which is what I've been told I need). My concern with that is I got very poor reception with a decent standard TV antenna before I got cable, so dont know if I'll have better luck with an HD antenna.

Anyone in downtown Seattle know ? Any input about the HD cable situation appreciated as well.

Thanks!

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
Can't speak to downtown Seattle, but

A) The best antenna is an appropriate length of wire. Have you tried that? Experiment with different antennas, in different places in your house...
B) Your cable company should supply the STB-- if they don't, a random HD decoder probably wouldn't work.

Me

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks